wanting to fix up my crappy 30gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HoCkEyGmC

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have a junky looking 30 gallon tank in a guest bedroom that is pretty much just an eye sore. i would love to fix it up. rite now i couldn't tell you what kind of fish i have in there, just that they are all way too big for the tank. i have one 5 inch cichlid of some sort, a 6 inch "sucker fish", and some type of catfish. i think im going to take them to my lfs for some store credit and use the money for some sw stuff. after that im going to ditch all of the tacky gravel, fake plants, and background. im going to replace those with small pebbles, driftwood, and some slate rock of some sort. after that i'll get some fish. thats the part where i need some help with, i have no idea what i can put in it. i have been looking around and i love the blue rams. i would love to put a few of those in there and have it be a nice community tank and hopefully breed the blue rams. would this work? anytype of feedback at all is wanted and welcome!
Thanks!

Yes a pair or trio of german blue rams (GBRs) in a 30g would be fine. I believe you could breed them in a 30g but i personally have no experience of breeding GBRs. are you going to plant this tank? Most nice community fish can be housed with GBRs including rasboras, danios, ottos, tetras, corys, etc... oh and a BN pleco would look nice too.

yea i have no idea what any of those fish were/are =]. LOL. no plans for planting the tank unless there are plants that require ZERO matinence. i just remember when i was little and the tank was so full of life and colorful, my most memorable fish was "sharkie" the red tail shark. so im going to post in like 5 mins with a list of fish. it def wont actually be the real stock list cuz im atotal knewb at fw.
thanks!

no stock list yet but i think ive id'd the fish i have in there at the moment.
trinadad pleco
bumble bee cichlid
and still not sure on the catfish.

Not to be mean but the fish that you have in the tank right now dont mean anything (since you are getting rid of them). Give me a minute and i will go find you a nice sight to look on.

a few juvie gbr's (so they can pair up)
a few random guppys
bn pleco or (seen some all yellow/gold ones b4, how bout 1 of those?)
red tail shark
a few swordtails
a few neon tetras

ok so from this list i hope u see how much i dont know about the freshy side of thinfs lol. so can u add or revise or do whatever to this list please.
Thanks a bundle lol.
Ugh im such a noob.

Not to be mean but the fish that you have in the tank right now dont mean anything (since you are getting rid of them). Give me a minute and i will go find you a nice sight to look on.
yea i kno i just wanted to show what was in there and give an idea of how lame it is and such.

Here's one of my favorite sights. They tell you a ton about fish, they have pics, they sell fish, and a bunch more. www.liveaquaria.com/ if you see a fish you like tell us. Oh and a redtailed shark would be fine for a 30g, and they are very common you can find them at almost any fish place.

a few juvie gbr's (so they can pair up)
a few random guppys
bn pleco or (seen some all yellow/gold ones b4, how bout 1 of those?)
red tail shark
a few swordtails
a few neon tetras

ok so from this list i hope u see how much i dont know about the freshy side of thinfs lol. so can u add or revise or do whatever to this list please.
Thanks a bundle lol.
Ugh im such a noob.
Could you be a little more specific about a few.

yeah, very farmiliar with live aquaria. the salty side at least. ill do some more looking around. by me its 3 in the morn tho so think im gunna hit the sack in a few mins lol my step mom is getting up in 45 mins to go shopping. im being nocternal on thanksgiving break. oh yeah and i left a list in one of the above posts.

Could you be a little more specific about a few.

yeah, im not sure how many would be a good idea. i know nothing about freshwater setups. maybe 3-4 gbr's, anywhere from 3-6 random guppys, 3ish swordtails, and 6ish neon tetras. i'd like more viriatey though, i dont know what would make a good community tank. im used to only 4-6 fish in a 30 gallon.

Just a quick little list.

A pair of GBRs (4 or so but just till they pair up)
3 or 4 guppies
1 BN pleco (the ones that are a goldish color are just albinos which are fine)
3 swordtails
1 or 2 red tailed sharks
and 5 neon tetras

How does that sound?

sounds fine to me, i think i might want to ditch the guppys though now that i think about it and go for a few slightly bigger fish(not sure of what type).

by me its 3 in the morn tho so think im gunna hit the sack in a few mins lol
Yeah us 13 yr olds dont get much sleep (its 3:15am here) but i think i will hit the off button at aroud 4. I'm visting with family so i probably wont be a ble to help during the day but i will help at night (early mornin), but i'm sure lots of people will be able to help u during the day.

also: are there any low low low matinence plants that i could stock? and what substrate should i use?
EDIT: lol im 14. i thought i was the youngest on the site. lol.

Quote: "EDIT: lol im 14. i thought i was the youngest on the site. lol."
sorry some thin is wrong with my stupid com. it wont qoute anything now for some odd reason.

ha ha not quite.

lol its good to be a kid nowa days. getting somewhat back on topic, u have any pics of ur tank(s)?

Back
Top Bottom