waste on the bottom of my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Opheliac

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 g tank that took me some time to get it where it's suppose to be. Meaning not in new stage syndrome. The bottom of the tank has a lot of waste and I would like some ideas on what to do to get it out without changing the water or using my python to suck it out. Should I had stuff like a chemical or just leave it seeing there really isn't a stinky smell and the fish aren't bothered by it. I do tests every other day and they are in the ok perimeters. Like ph and ammonia levels. What else should I be checking if there is that much waste on the bottom.

I'm not sure how you can clean it without doing a PWC. Water changes are never a bad thing though. :)

As far as testing, in addition to pH and ammonia you'll want to test for Nitrite and Nitrate.

Bottom vacuuming should be a part of your weekly maintenance schedule. You didn't really say what your substrate was (bare/sand/gravel).

'I do tests every other day and they are in the ok perimeters' : The only ok parameter for ammonia is 0, as is nitrite. Nitrates under 40 are ok (40-80 are ok but not preferable too). The longer you leave that waste on the bottom the more your nitrates will rise and your troubles will start from there. Algae will be your next complaint if you don't keep the tank clean, do PWC's on a regualr basis and keep those nitrates down

gravel vac that sucker with the python. do a 50-75% wc even 2-3 times a week if thats what it takes to remove all the waste. though if its too bad i would look at whats in the tank.

I agree. An abundance of detritus on your substrate is a sure sign that more water changes and gravel vacs are necessary. Adding chemicals may reduce nitrate, but will do nothing to remove dissolved organic compounds from your water. We change 40-50% weekly on all our tanks, except the nano reef, which gets a water change twice or more a week.

Thanx for all you advice. Will decide what to do from all your answers. Though it's not a hard decison..LOL. Water change..water change is a must!

Yeah was doing water changes all the time but this guy that I had coming over to test my water said not to do that because that is what was causing my tank to say in "new stage syndrome" but I'll have you know as well I don't have him coming over any more....LOL.

LOL... good for you Denise! There is a lot of misinformation out there regarding our hobby, but the fact remains that clean water is ALWAYS good for our fish. Yes, your cycle may take longer when you do a lot of water changes in the process... but if your fish suffer less as a result, that is worth it IMHO.

Keep up the good work! :)

Yeah was doing water changes all the time but this guy that I had coming over to test my water said not to do that because that is what was causing my tank to say in "new stage syndrome" but I'll have you know as well I don't have him coming over any more....LOL.
who was this person? what was the test showing?
There is a lot of misinformation out there regarding our hobby
some people just cant help but give wrong info...........

Back
Top Bottom