Water change 230g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiger_Oscar

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok let me start by saying I was previously running a 54g tank. I have around 10 one gallon containers which I treat with conditioner and store until I do water changes.

I use the python and remove about 10% on each water change. I've never lost a fish using this process.

I now have a 230g set up going through cycling now. My problem is I don't have anything large enough to hold around 23g. I know I shouldn't be putting water directly from the tap into the tank.

I'm kind of stuck trying to figure out where to just store water. Is it possible to use tap water and put the conditioner directly in? Is there any filters or other devices I can filter the water from tap?

I need as much advise as I can get I don't want to loose any fish. Thanks in advance.

I don't use anything to store water for use. I did once, but it was a serious pain. So I now pour my water straight from the tap into the tank. And then add the water conditioner. I know that there are people out there who will disagree with this method. But I have so many batches of fry hatching in my tanks, that if the fish are breeding in it, then they must like the water.

have you looked into algae turf scrubbers, or some other plant based filter to cut down on the % needed for the pwc's?

But to your question.. plastic garbage cans... with heaters in there.. you will need to keep the heaters off the plastic though.. that way you can add the conditioners just for the water your adding(rather than the entire tank). and age it, airate it, whatever you want to do with it before you put it into your tank.. Oh and a submersible pump would be nice too..

If you can afford a 230 gal setup then I'm sure you can afford a RO/DI unit. Put into simple words, they make tap water safe for the aquarium without the hassle of adding dechlorinator. And since its a 230 gal tank, you may want to look into getting an auto-top off system.

It's just a pain. Most people only have 50 to 100 gallon tanks. I usually do a 10% water change on the 54g twice a week. I like to let the water sit so I immediately fill the containers after using them and add my conditioner.

If I do a 10% change on the 230g that's 23g. As you know sometime you need to do around a 20% or 30% water change. Man that's about 70g for a 30% water change. I don't know what else to do but directly from the tap.

Blazeherd2306 said:
If you can afford a 230 gal setup then I'm sure you can afford a RO/DI unit. Put into simple words, they make tap water safe for the aquarium without the hassle of adding dechlorinator. And since its a 230 gal tank, you may want to look into getting an auto-top off system.

Oh this might be the key. I need to go straight from the sink with this water. I've got around &2000 invested already how much is it for the Reverse Osmosis system? I've heard of it before but I don't know much about it.

I have most of the basics down pact but I'm constantly learning. I'm still learning but I do know it's easier to maintain a larger tank than a small one due to how fast change occur in smaller tanks. Well it should be easier except this water change problem...lol

I do 50% weekly PWC's on my tanks using a python. I just add the dechlor at the beginning of the fill-up and never have had any problems.
If you went with an RO/DI unit you would have to add buffers to the water otherwise you would get wild ph swings since the water has no buffering capacity of its own. SW hobbyist use RO/DI but add sea-salt to the mixture

There is no reason you can't use your tap water - unless I misunderstand, this is not a water quality issue, so I would hate for you to invest in a RO unit and the mixing that is involved just because you have a large volume tank. Most municipal tap water is perfectly safe for fish once it is treated for chlorine/chloramines.

I use a Python and put tap water directly into all of my tanks and add dechlor as I am filling. I see no reason to store water or pre-treat your water, unless your tap water has major problems with it, like extremely high nitrate or phosphate, or it is too hard/soft for the type of fish you are trying to keep. I have the KISS attitude - Keep It Simple, Silly. :wink:

I thought all tap water was bad for fish. I been looking at the R/O system and I see they can run about 300-400 dollars. I wont be running off getting one today..lol

A 50% water change for a 230 gal would be 115 gal 8O That would take a long time. A water change for a tank that size would be time consuming and in the long run, a RO/DI unit would be cheaper than constantly buying chemicals JMO. If you don't want to spend a long time doing water changes, you could also form an auto-top off system and use a dosing pump to add buffers, but this would not be keeping things simple.

Tank Girl is right....i've been using tap water direct with de-chlorinator for years and all my fish die of old age.....never had a problem.

Andos and TG
Do you add the tap water directly into the tank and then add dechlorinator to the tank?

the use of a plant based filter will reduse the need for large water changes.. I would never recomend this to someone with a smaller tank because they are difficult to work with on smaller systems...
with that much water it is easer to work with them.. the algae or plants filter alot of what you dont want in the water out so that your water change % goes down.. If I were you I would definately look into a DIY alage scrubber.. these can and have been set up as closed systems( no water changes ).. thats a bit overkill though..

I guess once I become more familiar I may consider RO system. As for right now I may try adding directly from tap. For those of you that add directly is it better before, after or during the water change?

Hey Greenmagi what's with the plant base filter. Is this something that can be added to an existing filter? I'm currently running two Rena filstar III filters. You can add your own mechanical, bio and chem. They are capable of filtering 175 gallons. So I'm filtering enough to run a 350 gallon tank. I was told before you can't really over filter a tank.

Tiger_Oscar said:
Hey Greenmagi what's with the plant base filter. Is this something that can be added to an existing filter? I'm currently running two Rena filstar III filters. You can add your own mechanical, bio and chem. They are capable of filtering 175 gallons. So I'm filtering enough to run a 350 gallon tank. I was told before you can't really over filter a tank.

it can be added..
it is usually done on large aquariums.. I mean big ones!.. Ive seen a 800 gallon FW with one on another board..
here is some info..
http://www.hydroponics.com.au/back_issues/issue18.html
http://www.thekrib.com/Filters/scrubber.html
It is also called a Algal Turf System

The you cant overfilter argument is not one I want to get into.. unless you want to email me..

well.. i dont use any dechlorinator at all anymore. i have almost a full full sized bottle of the tetra stuff. but ive decided its too much hassle. even though its not that much just doing it annoys me. i have well water so that helps. but most of you guys live in the city.

lol think what would happen if he needed to use distilled water or something and had to get all those plastic jugs 8O

so.... i have no idea.. lol. good luck.

for a moment i thought i was going to say something smart :p

There is a company I know of that actually sell premade systems.. you have to contact them for prices and such though.. they used to advertise in FAMA but I think I just stumbled on there website...
http://www.aquaricare.com/default.asp
and it doesnt look like there done with it..
I sent off for the information about 10 years ago.. it was nice info but I thought that a DIY project would be almost as effective and much cheaper..

disclaimer.. the design aquaricare has is patent pending or has received a patent.. I have never made a algae scrubber based on the design I saw in there marketing books.. I have never made a algae scrubber for any use personal or for profit... and if I did it would be from a design that is not patent pending.. or a design of my own..the only reason Im saying this is because I have posted links to DIY designs that were free and available on the internet..

I'm guessing that your tank is not in a basement or somewhere that you can store a huge rubbermaid and/or plumb your aquarium straight into a wall.

On my RO system (6 stage for $65 on ebay), I can take water out after it has only gone through the carbon prefilters. This removes chlorine and sediments, but leaves minerals in. But I have the problem of heating the water up before I can add it.

I think your best bet would be to find some sort of carbon filter that will fit on your faucet and let you run a hose to your aquarium. This solves the chlorine problem and the temperature problem.

Back
Top Bottom