Water change equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sp0ng3r

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello again,
Christmas is coming up, and I recently got a 135 gallon tank. I previously had a 55 and a 46. I condensed them down to 1 tank (the 135) and have always used a standard cheap siphon that you put into the water and shake up and down until it creates a suction and then vacuum the gravel.

I have been looking at the python and similar products and am interested in the ease of them, but concerned about not using buckets to dechlorinate the water (vacuuming the gravel is essential as I currently do not have live plants). I usually fill each 5gal bucket with cold water and add the dechlorinater as the bucket fills. If the Python connected to the faucet fills the tank through a tube, how do you remove the chlorination from the water? Can you do put it into the tank after you fill it with the fish in it? Will that not harm or stress the fish?

Finally, can someone explain to me how the Python (or similar) works? How do you create the suction?

Thanks!

sp0ng3r said:
Hello again,
Christmas is coming up, and I recently got a 135 gallon tank. I previously had a 55 and a 46. I condensed them down to 1 tank (the 135) and have always used a standard cheap siphon that you put into the water and shake up and down until it creates a suction and then vacuum the gravel.

I have been looking at the python and similar products and am interested in the ease of them, but concerned about not using buckets to dechlorinate the water (vacuuming the gravel is essential as I currently do not have live plants). I usually fill each 5gal bucket with cold water and add the dechlorinater as the bucket fills. If the Python connected to the faucet fills the tank through a tube, how do you remove the chlorination from the water? Can you do put it into the tank after you fill it with the fish in it? Will that not harm or stress the fish?

Finally, can someone explain to me how the Python (or similar) works? How do you create the suction?

Thanks!

I've never used one before, but from reading about them I think it's as simple as flipping switch on the faucet end of the python from filling the tank with water to suctioning the water out. The way to dose is to dose for the full amount of your tank (in your case 135g) and pour the dechlorinator in the tank, then flip the switch and fill the tank with water.

sp0ng3r said:
Hello again,

Thanks!

And another thing I learned this time around (this is my second go around with fish) I always thought tap water would kill the fish. The chlorine in tap water kills the BB which in turn does end up killing your fish because of the ammonia, nitrite and nitrates not being taken care of.

I have the Aqueon water changer. I balked at the price for a long time. But now that I have it, I can't believe I lugged around a 5-gallon bucket for 10 years. And I have only a 55 - I can't imagine water changes on something bigger.

Yes, you just pour the dechlorinator into the tank as it's filling back up. It's so easy that I kick myself for not doing it sooner.

I have the Aqueon water changer. I balked at the price for a long time. But now that I have it, I can't believe I lugged around a 5-gallon bucket for 10 years. And I have only a 55 - I can't imagine water changes on something bigger.

Yes, you just pour the dechlorinator into the tank as it's filling back up. It's so easy that I kick myself for not doing it sooner.

Thanks for that. Do you have any issues with the Aqueon brand one? I saw that brand and the Python, and the Aqueon is almost half the price. I always buy off brand when I can, I just wanted to see if you regretted the Aqueon or knew anything better about the python?

Always add BB after a water change just to be safe. I add a little each time. I use Colony for smaller tanks and Stability for big tanks

Thanks for that. Do you have any issues with the Aqueon brand one? I saw that brand and the Python, and the Aqueon is almost half the price. I always buy off brand when I can, I just wanted to see if you regretted the Aqueon or knew anything better about the python?

I know nothing about the Python. I have read reviews and I do see that many people have had the faucet piece break. It's replaceable. But I haven't had a problem at all with the faucet piece in the two months I've had it. I haven't had any issues at all. Now, I had an older faucet with a bit of limescale around the spout so it wasn't a perfect seal, but I replaced my faucet (for other reasons) two weeks ago and now, with the new faucet, there's not a leak to be found.

My Aqueon was pricey because I needed the 50-footer. Still, absolutely worth it. I had an ich outbreak in September so I was doing daily water changes, and having that water changer saved my back.

Lardeelion said:
I know nothing about the Python. I have read reviews and I do see that many people have had the faucet piece break. It's replaceable. But I haven't had a problem at all with the faucet piece in the two months I've had it. I haven't had any issues at all. Now, I had an older faucet with a bit of limescale around the spout so it wasn't a perfect seal, but I replaced my faucet (for other reasons) two weeks ago and now, with the new faucet, there's not a leak to be found.

My Aqueon was pricey because I needed the 50-footer. Still, absolutely worth it. I had an ich outbreak in September so I was doing daily water changes, and having that water changer saved my back.

Should of just bought the 25' and went to your local hardward/depot/ace/lowes and picked up some vinyl tubing and a hose barb coupling.

Should of just bought the 25' and went to your local hardward/depot/ace/lowes and picked up some vinyl tubing and a hose barb coupling.

Don't I know it! :banghead:

Actually, I later managed to attach it to a sink that's only 15 feet away that I originally thought was too shallow. D'oh!

Oh well. Maybe I can use those extra 30 feet and wash the dog. :D

My aquarium is pretty deep. I would like a 3 foot clear gravel tube for it, but saw that only the Python has that option. Is there a DIY option for this as well? Can I use the Python extention for it also? I would love for me to not have to stick my arm in the tank every time I do a change.

Any experiences with this? or Ideas?

I bought a shower head diverter,50 feet of .5 inch clear tubing,a threaded end for the tubing that screws to the diverter and use my gravel vac on the other end of the tubing to drain the tank through the 50 feet of tubing.It is kinda slow,but its easy to use.

This is diverter,It stays on shower permanently.

Attachments

• 41DzBLhxbJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    41DzBLhxbJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 50
I have a 220g tank that I change out 100g a week with an Aqueon Water Changer and I love it. I have a heavily planted tank and don't gravel vac but since both the Python and Aqueon have the same size tubing there is no reason you can't use the Python gravel vac attachment on the Aqueon tubing.

I actually dose Prime for the size of the tank at the beginning of filling then again at the end when it's filled. It actually says to do that on the Aqueon instructions but that is how we have done to ponds for years when we have to drain them down from spring/fall maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom