water change frequency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How often should I do a water change and how much? I've read 50% weekly. Is this a good number? I have a 55 gallon fresh water tank.

That really depends on your stock and how fast nitrates rise. Ideally you want to keep them under 20ppm so you need to change as much water as it takes weekly. Many, myself included, just do 50% weekly because its easier to ensure the fish are getting adequate amounts of fresh water. Some tanks like goldfish, cichlid, etc might need multiple 50% changes weekly.

Everyone ends up finding out what works best for them based on stocking, what kind of fish, feeding habits, types of food, planted tank, not planted, etc.

I stock pretty low compared to others and I do water changes once a month, about 30-50 percent. I don't have any issues.

If I had to do them every single week, I wouldn't enjoy the hobby anymore, it would become a job for me.

As mumma stated it really depends on your stock. I have some tanks that only get water change of 25-30% weekly and 2 tanks that get 25-30% twice a week. I test every day. Most tanks get changes on the same day of the week every week but if trates start to climb its change time regardless of the day of the week.

Water Changes

How often should I do a water change and how much? I've read 50% weekly. Is this a good number? I have a 55 gallon fresh water tank.

Hello s...

The more water you change and the more often you change it, the better. I keep several 55 Gs and used to change half the water in the tanks every week.

I do have to put in a plug here, for emersing "Aglaonema modestum" or Chinese Evergreen in the tank, to keep the water pure. Since I put these land plants into the tank, I change out 4 to 5 gallons of water weekly instead of close to 30 gallons per tank. Am saving a lot of water and my time.

B

I do a 30% change on Saturday and another on Wednesday, fully stocked over filtered 63 gallon planted tank. My levels never really change but I think it's better for the fishes health and over all look of the tank. Once you get a procedure in place it takes no time at all. I also do a 50% weekly change on my 2 15 gallon tanks.

I do 50% weekly in all my tanks. For now it is sufficing in my 90 cichlid tank. In the future I can see myself doing a 25% during mid week and 50% on sat. To me there is nothing worse then a dirty tank, so its worth the extra work to me(y)

i have a 45 gal. i do a 20% water change every 3rd day. once a week, on thursday, i do glass cleaning and gravel cleaning and about a 30% water change. i believe that fresh, clean water is one of the best things you can do to keep your fish healthy.i do all i can to try to prevent disease. so far it's working. :)

Back
Top Bottom