water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aring

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can someone tell me how to do a water change the right way please? I'm a noob and don't want to kill my fish...ty

siphon the water out into a bucket, out the window, directly to the sink. whatever works. gravel vaccums sold at most pet stores are best for this, and fairly cheap.

when adding water you want to match the temp of the new water to the water already in the tank, add water conditioner to the new water, and slowly pour into the tank

Can bottled water be used to do a water change? Anyone?

Ty this was helpful but it doesn't say whether or not I can use bottled water

I just figured it would be easier for me...our tap has a lot of chemicals in it cuz our lake has had a horrible algae bloom for last 4 years so they are dosing the tap big time

I just figured it would be easier for me...our tap has a lot of chemicals in it cuz our lake has had a horrible algae bloom for last 4 years so they are dosing the tap big time

Just use a good conditioner like Prime. Test your tap and post results. It may not that bad. The parameter results will let you know what's better for you to use. Of course you can use bottled water but test your tap and let's see what it's like.

OK ty..I use that stress coat water conditioner in one and also smart start....how do I test my tap? Ph kit? Sorry I'm still so new to this n I'm trying to learn

OK ty..I use that stress coat water conditioner in one and also smart start....how do I test my tap? Ph kit? Sorry I'm still so new to this n I'm trying to learn

Don't be sorry, your learning and asking questions is part of learning. Don't ever be sorry for wanting to gain knowledge.

Get yourself a API freshwater test kit. And test your tap water for ammonia, nitrates, nitrites and pH. In my opinion if you can get it I'd switch to Prime by Seachem.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Prime.html

You don't need the smart start.

OK tysvm I will do this when I get my new tank in three weeks...no money atm sadly n I will stop the start smart cuz I don't like it neway lol

OK tysvm I will do this when I get my new tank in three weeks...no money atm sadly n I will stop the start smart cuz I don't like it neway lol

Best prices I have found on the API freshwater test kit are Amazon and the seachem prime is also on amazon.

Amazon.com: API Freshwater Master Test Kit: Pet Supplies

If you have amazon prime then its free two day shipping, if not try ebay.

Amazon.com: Seachem Prime 500ml: Pet Supplies

Also when petsmart has their reward program deals they are very close to amazon as in pricing. That is all I have done lately is check out Petsmart, Petco, Pet Supermarket.....waiting for my tank to cycle.

Ty for the info...going to pet smart n PETCO here in three weeks

Doing my first water change tomorrow...got fresh water sitting with water cond....wish me luck! Nervous

Back
Top Bottom