Water change.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ndw

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm sure this question is on here somewhere but I can't seem to find it. Is a 20% weekly water change to much in a 10g tank

It depends what is in your tank. I would say go to aqadvisor.com and type in your tank info and it will tell you how much water to take out for your tank to stay healthy.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

I do upwards of 50% once or twice a week in my 10g. It depends on bioload in the tank.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

50% weekly is the average. Can't have too much clean water.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Checked on aqadvisor and it says I'm 96% stocked so 20% is about right. Thanks !

Smaller tanks are more susceptible to bio loads than larger tanks.............

Checked on aqadvisor and it says I'm 96% stocked so 20% is about right. Thanks !

Water changes at the very least should be done in response to nitrate removal.

Nitrates should optimally be around 20ppm. So if you have a 40ppm nitrate reading, then do a 50% water change.

Saying a 20% water change will be enough is really just ill informed. There are too many variables to consider when managing a tank. Are you overfeeding? Are any fish messy eaters? Do you have a substrate that allows food to get stuck and go uneaten? Does your food get sucked up into the filter just for it to decay and increase nitrates?

50% is the standard amount that people change on a weekly basis and for most people that works just fine. So in short, test your water. If the nitrates are high do a bigger water change; if they are low do a smaller one.

I change a third of my water once a week and do extra water changes between the regulars a couple times a month.

Water changes at the very least should be done in response to nitrate removal.

Nitrates should optimally be around 20ppm. So if you have a 40ppm nitrate reading, then do a 50% water change.

Saying a 20% water change will be enough is really just ill informed. There are too many variables to consider when managing a tank. Are you overfeeding? Are any fish messy eaters? Do you have a substrate that allows food to get stuck and go uneaten? Does your food get sucked up into the filter just for it to decay and increase nitrates?

50% is the standard amount that people change on a weekly basis and for most people that works just fine. So in short, test your water. If the nitrates are high do a bigger water change; if they are low do a smaller one.

I have always done 20% would starting to do a 50% water change be bad for the fish or effect them. I done 20 % this morning and my nitrates are high still although 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites so looks like I will have to start bigger changes

I have always done 20% would starting to do a 50% water change be bad for the fish or effect them. I done 20 % this morning and my nitrates are high still although 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites so looks like I will have to start bigger changes

This depends on how high the nitrates are. 80 or under I would just do another 30 to 40% change now. And then up your changes weekly to maintain a max of 20 on the nitrates. If the nitrates are real high then slowly increase the water changes until you get them under control then maintain with larger weekly changes.

They are between 20-40 on the chart and I done the 20% change this morning

That's not that bad. Its really simple math. If you are at 40 and do a 50% you should now be at 20. I always do a 50% weekly change minimum. The thing is you need to figure out how much nitrate is being produced in say a week. If more is being produced than you are removing with water changes It will just keep going up. This also depends on if there are nitrates in your tap water.

I'm gonna go for a 50% change and reduce my feeding. All the food seems to go within a few minutes but I can't see any other reason for the nitrates to be high lately

Back
Top Bottom