water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redchick2

Aquarium Advice Freak
Be gentle, but I need to know.... My current tank (55g) is about due a pwc. I just checked the water and it is just about perfect. amonia o, nitrite 0, nitrates under 20. My question is how important are the water changes when the specs are right in the aquarium.
thanks,
me

Very important. The PWCs will replenish the trace elements used by the critters in your tank.

In speaking of bacteria they are constantly in flux consuming food sources, but without waste export they will continue to build and increase the levels you speak of. Various elements are also constantly depleted over time. As the water degrades and the constant import of waste is accumulated, the need to be exported/refreshed with anew is eventual or quality of life also degrades.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. Everything is copestetic, and I would like it to stay that way! :)

My recommendation is to do PWCs every other week. I have been doing so on my system since I started it. Keeping those trace elements replenished and the waste exported as Innovator said helps keep things in balance. Better water quality = successful tank.

Thanks! Time to mix up water.When I mix up the salt water it always makes me want a Margaretta. Strange.

And don't get the snails mixed up with the glass!

Good advice already given. I want to reinterate the trace element part of it. There are approximately 89 different salts mixed in your salt mixture and these trace elements are very important to the different processes in a reef or fish tank. IMO PWC`s are the most important maint. you will do to your tank. I have several fish and corals in my tank that are over 10 yrs old and if I had to pick out what I thought was the most important thing that contributed to that then I would say it is my weekly PWC`s by far. JMO

Back
Top Bottom