Water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_Nick_

Aquarium Advice Activist
Dont do water changes whit Bala sharks cause mind died only did a 20% water change & they died got to get more

RIP Bala sharks & clown loaches

Attachments

• image-2670806298.jpg
    image-2670806298.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 85
A water change, even a large water change, should not have any ill effects on your fish. You HAVE to change the water. No water changes=death.

Something happened during the water change to kill them, not the water change.

Did you use a water conditioner? Prime, etc?

When you added the water, did you match the temperature of the aquarium water? Too much of an increase or decrease in temperature can be deadly.

Is it possible you had something on your hands? Soap or any other chemical? It can happen. You don't fully rinse your hand and you stick it in the tank.

Think it was the tem cause I did add cold water but I did that be for didn't kill them don't use chemicals at all think it was me just ganging the water cause I've had them for bout 4 months idk imma just get more

Only thing survived is the tiger barbs like always

Unless you are on a well, you MUST use a water conditioner like prime. I'm on a well and still treat it.

If you don't, then you are basically using chemicals on your fish(chlorine, chloramine).

You have to treat the water or you will poison your fish. The combo of cold water and chlorine/chlormine is a death sentence.

Think it was the tem cause I did add cold water but I did that be for didn't kill them don't use chemicals at all think it was me just ganging the water cause I've had them for bout 4 months idk imma just get more

Is English your native tongue? I'm not trying to be rude, just curious. Note that this is not the proper forum for this question/false statement.

Water changes are part of a balanced breakfast. They're GREAT. EDIT: Please don't go get more without doing at least a little research on how to keep fish.

I fill a 45 gal drum with water. The same temp or + degree or 2. Add cloram-x, baking soda (PH KH) Calcium chloride epsom salt (GH) - Salt. Then pump it in. Stress is a big killer & stress is accumulative. Think of stress like smoking.

Agreed, something else is an issue and should be determined before adding more fish.

You shouldn't need to treat well water unless there is a known issue.

Water changes will prevent and even treat most problems. In rare cases they can cause issues but these are the exceptions. This can be cause by using the wrong temperature water, not using a dechlorinator, not using enough dechlorinator (sometimes they will add a lot more chloramine for things like excessive rain), or something toxic in the water. This is unlikely and rare though.

I have a Bala, and hes been through a bunch of water changes, moved from another tank, and moved to a new house in buckets. All my fish survived everything

Back
Top Bottom