Water conditioner disaster.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't realize they made a powdered version of Prime...wow...see that? Learn something new every day...

What is the benefit, if any, over using a powdered version of this conditioner?

It's super concentrated so it more economical especially when bought in 4kg buckets lol. It's cheaper for me to ship a 4kg bucket of Safe from the US than to buy it in Australia. 8-0

Just be aware of the limitations of Seachem Safe vs using Seachem Prime. Although the Safe is a powdered version of Prime, a standard dose of Safe only treats 1ppm of chlorine/chloramine. A standard dose of Prime treats up to 5ppm chlorine and 4ppm of chloramine. If you plan on switching from Safe to Prime, make sure you know what disinfectant your water contains and the average daily amount in ppm so you can adjust the dosage accordingly. Pond Prime is another option is your looking for something super concentrated.

Just be aware of the limitations of Seachem Safe vs using Seachem Prime. Although the Safe is a powdered version of Prime, a standard dose of Safe only treats 1ppm of chlorine/chloramine. A standard dose of Prime treats up to 5ppm chlorine and 4ppm of chloramine. If you plan on switching from Safe to Prime, make sure you know what disinfectant your water contains and the average daily amount in ppm so you can adjust the dosage accordingly. Pond Prime is another option is your looking for something super concentrated.

Maybe I misunderstood their site- they don't describe the dosage in the same way for prime as they do safe. My understanding is you would use a teaspoon of safe to 300 gal and prime you would use a teaspoon to 50 gal.

I'm very bad at math. And logic in general! I hope I haven't been badly under or overdosing my babies!

I, personally, don't have any plans on switching from liquid Prime to powder Prime, but this topic sure was interesting and eye-opening...:eek:

One thing I have learned from living in high run off areas is this:

When your area has a high run off from rain or snow, it also goes to your treatment plant where it gets a bit more of the disinfectants used to clean it. If your water from the tap smells funny (our's will have a sulfur smell during heavy run off times) you want to add extra water conditioner.

I learned this by losing whole tanks in a water change.

I would never think I could lose a whole tank during a water change (assuming I'm dosing with a dechlorinator)...:eek:

That's an eye-opener as well...

But I do know what you mean about sulfur-like odors and such; sometimes our water supply smells like it has heavy bleach or chlorine in it (you can smell it coming off the tap when you run a shower or bath) even though we have a water softening unit...next time I smell anything out of the ordinary, I'll be sure to put a little extra Prime in there...(y)

But, see, that's what I have been trying to explain in terms of the way some of us treat with Prime -- that is, we remove our water during the change process, then add Prime according to the directions on the bottle, dosing for the amount of gallons the tank holds, and THEN go run the fresh water and return it to the aquarium where the Prime already had a chance to "take hold" in the water column...I don't believe anyone is saying you should add the new water WITHOUT the Prime in there FIRST if that's what you were getting at...

In other words -- I think what you're stating here above is that your Red Shrimp would die if fresh, untreated tap water was introduced to the tank BEFORE something like Prime was added, correct? If that's the case then yes, there COULD be some danger in adding fresh water to a tank with NO water treatment done whatsoever (though I really doubt the small amount of time it takes to refill whatever tank you have, unless it's RIDICULOUSLY huge and requires a lot of time to refill, would be of any dire, lethal consequence to the fish before you could get dechlorinator in there)...HOWEVER, what I am suggesting, and what many other Prime users do also, is that once the tank is drained of its percentage of water for the change, IMMEDIATELY pour in the Prime according to the volume of water in the tank and THEN add your fresh, clean tap water...(y)

No, I understood you the first time. My point is unless you are filling with a hose, why treat the whole tank ? I just add drops to my bucket or my jug. I like my Prime to last longer. It works instantly. My water always sits for a few minutes before I add it anyway.

If it needs time to "take hold" , I'd just let my bucket sit out a few extra minutes. I'm only changing 4 small tanks.

If you are filling from a hose, esp in the case of large tanks then I would use powdered Safe or Pond Prime.

But that's my opinion. I'm on a tight budget and that's how I do things. Your tank, your choice.

Wait a minute, wait a minute...

I have been using Prime for years now under the assumption -- and guidance from forums such as this and even Seachem themselves -- that you're supposed to treat the tank itself before the new water goes in, and it should be treated for the tank's water volume, not the amount that's being added...

Is this not correct? THAT is why I have been dosing for 60 gallons before the new water goes in -- hence, the cap and a quarter or half or so...

I also dose this way with the primein my cichlid tank I always rince out my filter pads with each water change during that time I stick in a 1200 gph wave maker in for a few min take it out then my filter blows all that crap out of itself so I figure if I dose before I refill it I won't get any wiered spikes and so far so good

But, see, that's what I have been trying to explain in terms of the way some of us treat with Prime -- that is, we remove our water during the change process, then add Prime according to the directions on the bottle, dosing for the amount of gallons the tank holds, and THEN go run the fresh water and return it to the aquarium where the Prime already had a chance to "take hold" in the water column...I don't believe anyone is saying you should add the new water WITHOUT the Prime in there FIRST if that's what you were getting at...

In other words -- I think what you're stating here above is that your Red Shrimp would die if fresh, untreated tap water was introduced to the tank BEFORE something like Prime was added, correct? If that's the case then yes, there COULD be some danger in adding fresh water to a tank with NO water treatment done whatsoever (though I really doubt the small amount of time it takes to refill whatever tank you have, unless it's RIDICULOUSLY huge and requires a lot of time to refill, would be of any dire, lethal consequence to the fish before you could get dechlorinator in there)...HOWEVER, what I am suggesting, and what many other Prime users do also, is that once the tank is drained of its percentage of water for the change, IMMEDIATELY pour in the Prime according to the volume of water in the tank and THEN add your fresh, clean tap water...(y)

Yes but dosing prime into your tank then adding untreated tap water immediately after defeats the purpose in my opinion. Prime instantly makes tap safe. Therefore when you add it to your tank full I treated water it just dissolves. If you are treating for high nitrates then I would say add a super dose directly to your tank but for the purpose d water changes it makes a lot more sense to treat however much tap water is being added. It saves a lot of products.

It also says right on the bottle "May be added to aquarium directly, but better if added to new water first.

DragonFish71 said:
One thing I have learned from living in high run off areas is this:

When your area has a high run off from rain or snow, it also goes to your treatment plant where it gets a bit more of the disinfectants used to clean it. If your water from the tap smells funny (our's will have a sulfur smell during heavy run off times) you want to add extra water conditioner.

I learned this by losing whole tanks in a water change.

Our local utility actually sends out a letter when they up the chloramines (i think) or whatever they treat with. They specifically say to let it off gas 24 hours before adding to any tank. Thought it was a nice gesture, I personally do as you do, dose some extra.

Wish I still had it, they already started with all the flooding and snow melt that goes with this time of year here.

Yes, indeed, Seachem does state it is "better to add to incoming water" on the bottle of Prime...

However, it has always been my practice to just add it to the tank before the new water comes in, as it seems most do -- though, that being said, if one were to treat the fresh water before it comes in, how would this be accomplished? In other words, in my case, I do about six trips to dump the old water in the tub for a 50% change in my 60 gallon, then six trips back to the tank with fresh...how would I treat the buckets of new water?

So I bought a new water conditioner with nitraban (it's tetraaqua) I normally use the one without nitraban that says it's compatible for saltwater and freshwater. I've been using the new one with nitraban for all my tanks the past week but today I changed my goldfish water and disaster has struck. I've lost 2 fish and I'm trying my best to save the rest. Does anyone know why this is?

-edit- 3 by the time I posted this :( this last one was a small fantail and it's stomach looks awfully bloated. I don't know what's going on. This stuff worked fine for all my tropical fish.

-edit- 4 now. The rest of the fish are becoming more stable though.

I've used that product. It lowers the pH. Also, you need to make sure you have enough aeration (water flow & air pump) for your fish when using it. Go to www.algone.com & purchase their product. It reduces nitrate, it's EXTREMELY safe & keeps your tank sparkly clean. :):fish2:

Yes, indeed, Seachem does state it is "better to add to incoming water" on the bottle of Prime...

However, it has always been my practice to just add it to the tank before the new water comes in, as it seems most do -- though, that being said, if one were to treat the fresh water before it comes in, how would this be accomplished? In other words, in my case, I do about six trips to dump the old water in the tub for a 50% change in my 60 gallon, then six trips back to the tank with fresh...how would I treat the buckets of new water?

Do everything as you normally would just dose the bucket with prime before adding it into your tank. It seems like your putting to much thought into this just full the cap up to the first line and pour it into a 5 gal bucket full of tap water simple enough.

If you want to break it down for each 5 gallon bucket it would be 1/2 ml pr bucket. Useing a syringe to measure squirt in the botton of the empty bucket then fill with water. I also have a 60 gal. I personaly dont do that I add 6 ml to the tank then start dumping the buckets in.

If you want to break it down for each 5 gallon bucket it would be 1/2 ml pr bucket. Useing a syringe to measure squirt in the botton of the empty bucket then fill with water. I also have a 60 gal. I personaly dont do that I add 6 ml to the tank then start dumping the buckets in.

At the end of the day there's always two ways to skin a cat. If dosing the tank first has always worked for you then I wouldn't advise deviating but you did ask for a way to save product.

I use the small bottle with dropper cap. It's 10 drops per 5g bucket. Easy peasy.

Or use a syringe.

I'm not good at measuring with rings on cap. Drops or syringe I CAN do :)

I just refill my little bottle as needed. Which isn't that often.

I use the small bottle with dropper cap. It's 10 drops per 5g bucket. Easy peasy.

Or use a syringe.

I'm not good at measuring with rings on cap. Drops or syringe I CAN do :)

I just refill my little bottle as needed. Which isn't that often.

Yeah IME with prime using a little extra dose is fine. That's why I just use the cap line truck the exact dose isn't important as long as it close but not less than required.

Yeah IME with prime using a little extra dose is fine. That's why I just use the cap line truck the exact dose isn't important as long as it close but not less than required.

Yes, exact isn't required. I'm just frugal :) I have 4 tanks up and saving money is important to me. If I add extra drops, I don't freak out though ;)

Lots of different ways to use it.

For the record, I'm not "putting too much thought into this;" I merely wanted some help with the mathematics of it...

Here's the response I got direct from Seachem regarding this:

Thank you for using Prime. It is perfectly acceptable to dose Prime directly to your tank, but you will use less product if you dose only your replacement water. If you dose Prime to your tank directly, then you should dose 6mL of Prime. If you only dose your replacement water, then you only need to add enough Prime for the volume of water being changed (roughly 2 drops of Prime per gallon of water). Either way is acceptable.

So, it seems, either way is indeed okay, just for everyone's information; apparently, dosing the tank before new water goes in won't be harmful either...

Back
Top Bottom