Water flow and bubblers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Violetabyss

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10g tank with a LifeWithPets divider down the middle housing two solitary male bettas. My current problem is water flow.
I have an extra Aqueoun filter that came with the tank, but the flow was so strong that my betta was getting stressed. I tried a weaker filter and still too strong, so I asked my local aquarist and she recommended swapping the filter out for a bubbler. I took her advice but am really skeptical. I don't forsee much waste considering it's two fish in a 10g who eat pellets, so not much waste and I'll be siphoning during water changes, but what about beneficial bacteria? Are plants, glass, decor, and substrate enough for holding BB?
If this bubbler thing doesn't work out, what should I do? My bettas are starting to clamp their dorsals. I obviously want them to be happy, safe, and stress-free. But at this point it looks like they're going to need the filter/bubbler off once in a while which is not reliable.
I'm getting a soap dish with an open bottom to try and put under the Aqueon filter with some rocks in it and mitigate flow but it's quite ugly and means I have to keep the water level lower. I'm just struggling to find a long term solution here. Advice?

By bubbler, you mean an air stone? You could get a splitter for the air line and run a small sponge filter on each side from your air pump. They are great about growing bb. And do enough mechanical filtration for 1 fish

Back
Top Bottom