Water for mixing ferts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
About the only problem with using Tap water is if you have Nitrates, Phosphates, etc in the water as it can throw off the actual amounts you are dosing. Despite having Nitrates in my tap water, I use it for mixing my ferts.

Only if you are making a reference solution. In all other cases, it would be a waste of effort, IMO. Tap water works perfect. In fact I like to mix my dry ferts with warm/hot water to help it dissolve faster... then into the tank it goes...

I just throw the my ferts into my tank in the dry state( CaCl2,MgSO4,KNO3,K2SO4).

I used to go through the trouble of mixing but some would always be left in the bottle and I'd have to pull more water and shake and dump a couple of times. Dosing it dry I know its all getting into the tank.

Ya, I just mix it in a measuring cup, let it all dissolve well (30 seconds), and then dump the measuring cup into the tank, and submerse it a bit in one of the path of a spraybar or powerhead, which sends it all over the place. I don't like raining the dry stuff in on the fish (who invariably put it in their mouths to see if it is food)...

In the beginning I bought a double-necked bottle for premixing, dosing, etc. Here is what I use today:

DSC09502.JPG

I am using one of those double neck bottles to mix a weeks worth of ferts at a time. That way I can dose every other day without getting out the spoons and cups. Just a couple of squirts in the morning before work, alternating macros and micros, and I'm good to go. I just find it more convenient for me to dissolve a weeks worth at a time and I use tap water as well.

OK, since we are sharing I will show you my dungeon. Since the basement is my domain I took a corner of the laundry room and made myself a place to do my testing and mixing.

Pronounced La-bor-a-tory (with a transylvanian accent)

I too have concern over putting dry ferts in the tank with fish. For myself I like to use the glass pipettes to dispense most everything that is measured in ml.

Just because you need to be exact does not make you a control freak!!

flushingfish said:
I am using one of those double neck bottles to mix a weeks worth of ferts at a time. That way I can dose every other day without getting out the spoons and cups. Just a couple of squirts in the morning before work, alternating macros and micros, and I'm good to go. I just find it more convenient for me to dissolve a weeks worth at a time and I use tap water as well.

I use the 8 oz double necks and get about two weeks worth of dosing out of them. I also like the added convenience of the premixed ferts. I do dose the KNO3 dry.

SparKy697 said:
OK, since we are sharing I will show you my dungeon. Since the basement is my domain I took a corner of the laundry room and made myself a place to do my testing and mixing.

Pronounced La-bor-a-tory (with a transylvanian accent)

Looks like the lair of the mad Dr. Frankenfish. LOL

dapellegrini said:
Ya, I just mix it in a measuring cup, let it all dissolve well (30 seconds), and then dump the measuring cup into the tank, and submerse it a bit in one of the path of a spraybar or powerhead, which sends it all over the place. I don't like raining the dry stuff in on the fish (who invariably put it in their mouths to see if it is food)...

In the beginning I bought a double-necked bottle for premixing, dosing, etc. Here is what I use today:

DSC09502.JPG
I also dose my macros dry. I use CSM+B in a solution mixed in an old 250ml Prime bottle. Here's what I use for my dry ferts:

img_756240_1_3dd8024467154b6f4cde459105b62c0f.jpg

And here I was thinking I was being original.....:roll: Maybe we were seperated at birth! :lol:

I also add baking soda (for buffering) and epsom salt for hardness. My tap is like RO water (6.4/0dKH/0dGH) so I need put something in it. I dose those from much larger containers since I also use them in my African cichlid tanks.

BTW, I just scoop out a cup of tank water, add ferts, stir until dissolved, and then dump it into the tank.

Those containers look much nicer than the bags the ferts arrived in. What size would you need for 1lb of dry ferts?

I'm pretty sure the smaller containers will hold 1lb of the dry stuff. I ordered most of my stuff in 2lb quantities, which is way too much but helped offset the high cost of shipping. Shipping for about 9 lbs or so only costs a little bit more than shipping a pound or two. That explains the larger containers. You can find them in Target, Walmart, and in most big chain food stores.

Well I know what I'm going shopping for this weekend! :D I honestly never thought of putting them in containers like that. I'm going to buy some for my ferts and my food. Organization is kind of one of my resolutions for this year....didn't specifically say what I would organize. ;)

On topic: I put a little bit of tank water in a small plastic cup and mix the dry ferts into the water. Takes a few secs, but I like mixing them in the water, since my fish would eat them if I put them in dry.

The smaller size (16 oz) of the ziploc twist lock container (pictured above) holds 1lb of dry ferts perfectly...

I have this exact setup, maxwell/dapellegrini, you are not original at all :)

finding mini teaspoons was my real challenge, but linens and things came through for me

Back
Top Bottom