Water parameters for a newb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm that could be my problem!! I've been running the same stuff since I started.. Should I keep the bio media and just Change the filter floss ??

Alrite well I have one white pad and a black on and maybe a blue one too is the black one activated charcoal??

Carbon is usually the black pad or coarse filter pad in my experience. I'm not getting a visual so I can't be sure. Sorry

Alrite I'll get in there and switch em out.. But I should definitely change all the pads I have?

I dunno if there's 1 ac, 1 course and 1 fine either that or it's 1ac and 1 other one, but theyve been in there for 2 months now

I think the carbon media in a bag is more effective than the pads. I used to use pads too, but the difference is really noticeable when you switch over.

Well I have replacement pads so I can just switch them out, and maybe I will try the bags, I'm going to switch them out w next sat pwc

johnmaloney said:
I think the carbon media in a bag is more effective than the pads. I used to use pads too, but the difference is really noticeable when you switch over.

I'll second this. The same volume of activated carbon vs. A carbonized pad will of course have a lot more carbon and therefore a lot more surface area to react with the dissolved organics to pull them out of suspension.

Keep a close eye on that red slime Cyanobacteria. It can get out of control and smother your rock. Circulation and low nitrates and phosphates are the keys to success. I use a media in a tray at the top of my wet/dry to help keep my phosphates low. PWCs are the best thing I've found for the nitrates.

I will definitely try it I'm pretty sure there's a ac pad in the but if there isn't would everyone agree with me using ac?? What are the pros and cons to using it?

Hey Carey I bought 4 of those nassarius snails we were talking about! 2 big and two small, anything special I should know about these little guys??

yea they just emerge out of the sand so quick very interesting to watch their little antennas always stick out of the sand sniffing and when you feed out they come

I just dripped em and put em in they move so fast lol, should I make sure some o the fish food gets the the sand?? Or will they eat other little organics? I might a got 1 doa I think :-/ bummer

So I changed the pads they were looking alittle nasty after running for 50 something days so I'm glad I changed them out new course fine and activated carbon! And I sucked out all the red slime on the sand, Hopfully it's taken care of now

It's hard to see but onto of this rock is some neon green looking algae could it be green coraline??

Attachments

• image-3126687873.jpg
    image-3126687873.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 87
Back
Top Bottom