Water parameters for a newb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also still have a lot of green hair algae, not as much because I've been more mindful of my lights and running them a lot less

Yes if your population of bacterium can convert nitrites to nitrates faster then ammonia to nitrite then you will never see any nitrites... also some algae will take nitrites right out of the water.

The algae did bring my trates right down from about 40 to 20, then after a pwc I've been at 5/10 but the stuff is so ugly I've been thinking lawnmower blenny, but I'm also worried it's to soon to add more livestock, and if I do add one and he eats all the algae my nitrates may go back into unreasonable areas

Lowsdime said:
I turned the lights off for two days seemed to help some what, also picked up a green crab to eat some of the remaining algae the lawn mower was twice the price so I opted for the crab i think it's an emerald crab, was this a good choice?

probably just keep an eye on it and see if it helps

Ok ran my tests again last night and
Am 0
Trite 0
Trate 5 or 10

I'm very excited that it seems to have cycled! Doin a 10 gal weekly pwc tonight

What should I test for when I'm done making it?? I have a tds meter the closer to zero the better right?

I've heard about there maybe being phosphates?? Is there a test kit for that? Or does the tds take car of that

Only reason I'm worried is because my unit is used and I'm not sure if the filters need changkng

How's the ammonia and cycling going btw? I havent seen you doing any more pwc's so maybe its stabilized and finished the cycle?

My tap water is at 225ppm and the ro/di water comes out at 0. :)

My ammonia hasn't moved in at least 2 weeks or so and my nitrates are 5-10. I have been doing a 10 g weekly water change on Tuesday's, this time I will use my own ro for the first time Hopfully it doesn't kill everything in the tank, Hopfully it will help get rid of my hair algae, the lfs ro was tds 26 or so

Thats great news. Guess your tank finally cycled. :) YAY!

The ro/di is the best thing you can do for your tank. It will def help with the algae for sure.

Figures crossed it will, and thank you for being so helpful throughout the cycling experience

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom