water pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e_murray

Aquarium Advice Freak
So.. Looking for a water pump for my new setup. I was browsing at Lowes today and I looked at the pond pumps and also sump pumps.

They are considerably cheaper than what I have been looking at on aquarium websites.

Are these safe to use?

It going on a 100g sump for a 300g tank and the one I think that I want for it is 1/3 hp and moves 3500g per hour. Its $80 bucks.

There's no reason you can't use the pond pumps as long it flows what you need it to and remember there's a good deal of flow reduction due to head height. I would skip the household sump pumps since most are not meant to run constantly, and they are for the most part junk. I would skip all the stuff from Lowes and look into a Mag drive or Quite One pump for your sump.

Last edited:
Yeah those are the 2 brands I was looking at. I have a Mag 9 on my other tank. Love it!

The guy I bought this system from had it set up with an external pump and I have all the plumbing but not the pump :( So I was kinda looking for something that I can hook up to the plumbing I have. But I cant seem to find anything thats a reasonable price.

I have three Quiet One 9000's and while there is more head loss over the Mags they are absolutely silent and since my large tanks are downstairs in the living area that's important to me...and the wife!

What gph should I be looking for?

I read it needs to turn the tank 5 to 8 times...

Im thinkin at least 2000 gph I will have about 5ft head pressure.

Im kinda thinking a external one like GenX or Little giant or somethin like that

What are your overflows rated at since they will only turn so much water. I have AGA Megaflows cabable of 1200GPH so with my shut off valves I'm turning around 675GPH to each overflow.

Well, My tank is drilled has 2" pipes for the overflow and 1.5" for the returns.

I have no idea how to calculate what it can handle.

I assume that can handle A LOT!

Maybe I dont need 2000 gph running through the sump? I could do less for the sump and just add some power heads to increase flow in the display...

so what is an acceptable amount to run through the sump? I just read that if you run too much it will cause problems.. Every system is different..

Im at a loss right now, maybe I just need to go to bed! HA

You will have to figure how much your overflows can handle to determine how many gallons your going to pump, the sump I use does have a GPH rating but I'm far exceeding that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom