Water Quality/Protien Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeeS

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I am new to the saltwater end of this as well as a new member here. I am planning on starting a 29g fish-only tank and was wondering if a protien skimmer is necessary. Also is RO/DI water is absoloutely necessary. Can I use tap water if I allow time for the chlorine to evaporate as I do with my freshwater fish? I have tested the water for phosphates and the results are negative. I have municipal water. Anything else I should be concerned about water-wise. I don't mind spending the money for a purification system it's the wasted water thing I am not fond of.

Welcome to AA. IMO tap water should not be used. I work for a municipal water facility so I know what they put in tap water. A FO tank will make it better than a reef tank if you decide to go that route. Chloramines and chlorine are not your only problems in tap water. I used to have a great link about tap water but when my computer crashed it took it with it. Maybe I`ll find it again someday. Here is a good link on starting up.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/stock-list-tips-maintaining-your-sw-tank-73477.html

Also moving this to the Starting up forum.

I now consider a RODI unit a necessity not a luxury. It does make a difference.

welcometoaa.gif

I would encourage you to invest in an ro/di unit. I understand about the water wasting......I have two 55 gallon plastic drums that I collect water in, from my ro/di output water line. I water my plants and garden with it.

As mentioned above....it really makes a big difference.

Back
Top Bottom