water sofeners for tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jerrym

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i am moving my new place has well water. i plan on putting in a whole house water softener that uses salt and no filters next weekend before i move in. the out side spigot well be on the discharge side of softener. it will a big hassle to move this spigot, but it can be done. should i use well water for my fish tanks or should i use the soften water. i got a 75 gallon planted tank with co2 with tetras and 2 10 gallon tanks with cherry shrimp and the other with ele. blue shrimp. all three tanks do have snails in them witch i want to keep. so should i move the spigot for well water for or use soft water ? i use a water hose to fill up tanks now so there would be no extra headaches on how i fill my tanks for water change. :confused:

Some one may kno better but I would suggest soft water for Tetras and harder water for shrimp. This is assuming that whatever hardness you have you can keep consistent. Steady parameters are more important than matching what the fish prefer. That being said tetras like acidic soft water(black water) while harder water helps shrimp w/ molting etc.

That type of water softner uses ion exchange to remove calcium and magnesium ions by replacing them with sodium ions. Plants, fish, snails, and shrimp use the calcium and magnesium. Personally I wouldn't use that water. Do you have an analysis of the well water?

Many fishes like Hard Water; including Rift Valley Cichlids, Livebearers and Brackish Water fishes. Tetras, Rasboras and South American Cichlids don't. An easy way to reduce your tank's hardness is to slowly replace your tank's water with Distilled or Rain Water.

Using Well Water

i am moving my new place has well water. i plan on putting in a whole house water softener that uses salt and no filters next weekend before i move in. the out side spigot well be on the discharge side of softener. it will a big hassle to move this spigot, but it can be done. should i use well water for my fish tanks or should i use the soften water. i got a 75 gallon planted tank with co2 with tetras and 2 10 gallon tanks with cherry shrimp and the other with ele. blue shrimp. all three tanks do have snails in them witch i want to keep. so should i move the spigot for well water for or use soft water ? i use a water hose to fill up tanks now so there would be no extra headaches on how i fill my tanks for water change. :confused:

Hello jerry...

If you've been following a sound tank maintenance routine that includes large, weekly water changes and servicing the filtration system regularly, I don't see how changing to well water will make any difference.

I'd set up the new tank using the standard protocol and the standard water treatment too. Some pieces driftwood will help maintain a level pH. The inhabitants will adapt to the new water conditions, like they've done just about forever.

I guess I don't see a problem.

B

thanks

thank you everyone. it looks like i will have to run a new line so i can get the well water to by pass the softener.

the problem the hard water is tearing the fixtures up in the house. to keep that from happening again i am getting ready to install a water softener. i did not know weather softened or well water was better. if i had to use well water i would have to replumb and run a new line just for my tanks. if the softened water was ok i did not have to do anything. guess i am going to the hardware store tomorrow thanks once again

Back
Top Bottom