water top off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skratchiechan

Aquarium Advice Regular
when I top off my water, do I need to heat it up first or just pour it in there... putting 1-2 gallons of RO water. thanks :)

I just put mine in. as long as the temp is not too out of whack as your tank water.

This is something that I've been wondering for a while and wanted to ask about... for topping off a tank that's lost water due to evaporation... is it safe to be putting non-salt water straight into the tank?

I've started to take a gallon pitcher and filling it up half-way with tank water... then the rest with RO... so what gets dumped back into the tank isn't completely non-salt water. My worry is the creation of a temporary "salt-free" zone if I dump in straight RO... Am I being paranoid?

Fresh RODI should be added directly. It will quickly mix with the tank water. You don't want to let evaporation get to the point that SG is affected.

It's best to use an automatic top off system so that smaller increments are added more often, and you don't have to match the tank temp.

I usually only end up adding a gallon or so at most... The reason I started doing the partial tank / partial RODI is from the "interesting" swirling that's created when the straight RODI is added to the tank... it was just a minor concern... wasn't sure if it was something I should worry about.

Back
Top Bottom