Water Wisteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gadgetrunt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good afternoon. I have another noob question about my planted tank. Ive got 4 stalks of water wisteria in my tank and have been seeing some leaf growth as well as what I'm guessing is runners and new roots growing. I'm wondering if these are new roots will the pull the plant down to the substrate or just embed themselves into the substrate and grow new shoots and leaves? I think I'd eventually like to do some trimming and lay a piece or 2 on their side for a carpeted effect. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20200616_142837.jpg
    20200616_142837.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 20200616_142911.jpg
    20200616_142911.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 38
The roots won't pull the plant down, they'll just anchor it in the substrate, but the leaves and stalks will stay where they are.

I think I'd eventually like to do some trimming and lay a piece or 2 on their side for a carpeted effect.
Not sure that will work...wisteria is not a carpeting plant, it will always try to grow upward towards the light, and the carpeting effect - if there is any - might disappear over time. And it might require much more maintenace in order to get the desired effect than typical carpeting plants. But you can try.

Thanks for the info. I had read that some people put wisteria on their sides so the grow long and then up for a kind of jungle effect. Glad to know they seem to growing fine. They've been in the tank for a couple of weeks and I like seeing the new growth.

Back
Top Bottom