week three, still no answer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deemoney

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My white tetra is still on bottom more than ever.the short bursts of swimming he does are so aggressive, he swims up of bottom, shoots to other side of tanks a few times, then slowly runs out of energy, drifts back to his corner. Sometimes he even breyaches out of the top of tank. Water is still pristine, levels perfect. Just old i guess like everyone says. I just don't want any suffering. I've read up on the posts for euthanasia (personally any human that would flush or boil a family member like your fish should expect the same, that's my opinion and I'll deal with any crap) he's uninjured. He's nit labored with his breathing. There really isn't any I've finfoun on simply old fish. I know there are typos in my post as well, when I try to fix them, things go wrong. I hate when people make grammatical errors, try not to judge. Anyhow, I just want what we all do. Give our finned friends the best life we can. I know my little guys have improved me as a person. Btw, I have a sixty five gallon tank with one white tetra, two black ones. Want to get more soon but can't stress my old boy (girl?) Out. Thanks you all for Abby help. Night! Maybe I'm computer illiterate, it's a sure bet. Like I said there are a hundred mistakes in my post, just don't know how to fix em. Still wouldn't boil or flush! Thanks

So here is my 2 cents. It probably stresses the old boy out more to NOT be in proper schooling numbers than it would to suddenly have new tank mates. I'd get him some friends pronto. In fact, I'd get 5 white tetras. :D

Thank you. They've been like this for about two years. One of the black tetras has kind of looked out for him. It's really something to watch fish-yes fish-care for one another. I wouldn't put five in yet, don't want to mess up my tank and levels, maybe two. I want a school tank. Just figured it'd be too much. Plus you always get that one jerk fish that wants to come stir up the tank. I'll let him (or her, how can you tell?) Be. Again thank u. I've had him for four years, btw and exotic pretty and fish store told me 4-5 is lifespan. Just don't want suffering. I reach out because we can't go any where but up from here!

If you have a sixty-five gallon tank with just three skirted tetras, you can certainly add a school of them without any worry about messing up your water parameters. I am definitely with Venymae on this. Many fish must have more of their own kind in a tank to act normal. He may be old, but let him live out his remaining time within a group. I had a single corydoras that was constantly sick--I fought septicemia for months with him. I knew he should have tankmates, but something in the tank kept hurting them (got that figured out and removed the culprit). Once I added three buddies to his tank he was a new fish! I am serious when I say all his health problems went away, his barbels grew back, etc. My husband can't tell which fish was the sickly one anymore. Get him some friends--add at least six skirted tetras (white or black--they are the same species).

So here is my 2 cents. It probably stresses the old boy out more to NOT be in proper schooling numbers than it would to suddenly have new tank mates. I'd get him some friends pronto. In fact, I'd get 5 white tetras. :D

Then, I will give it a try. Let you know how it pans out. He's flat on his side down in his corner today. His friend is nearby, standing guard it seems. He swam for a bit but his active moments get less frequent and shorter daily.

+1 I had a single black skirt tetra and she was not happy about that, I got 4 more and only one lived past QT, lfs said they got a bad batch... And I can see how much happier she is with just one friend. On the past when I had a bunch they all swam together at all times.

Back
Top Bottom