Weird bug ID help please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lycie

Aquarium Advice Regular
There's a weird bug in my tank! I just noticed it. No idea what it could be. Please help? Should I catch it and get rid of it or leave it?

This is the best photo I could get sorry.

Attachments

• image-3024945862.jpg
    image-3024945862.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 134
Google damsel fly nymph, have a look at pics and compare them. :)

It's very similar, but instead of the spikes/spines as a "tail" this one almost looks fluffy? :/ it's so hard to see as it's right at the back of my tank.

If it is one of those, should I catch it or will it pose no threat?

I'm actually treating for fin rot at the moment ( :( ) so not sure if it will survive anyway.

I think the only threat it will pose is to fry other than that nothing. It might hatch and fly around you tank though. Have a look at dragon fly nymphs see if its that. ( some people say DF nymph can eat small guppies )

No it doesn't look like the dragonfly. Probably is a damsel? But anyway, thank you for all your help :) I will keep an eye on it but all my babies are in another tank so it can't eat them.
Thank you!!

Indeed Langerz is quite correct, that is a damselfly nymph, it most likely posses little to no threat in the aquarium. However some species do get quite large and are actually capable of killing larger fish like the dragonfly nymph which is in the same family of insects. Both are predacious.

Thanks for the confirmation. I don't know where it went, it disappeared overnight. But it's still fairly small so I can't see it doing anything to my fish...yet. But I'll keep an eye out.

Thanks guys!!

shrimpbako said:
Dragonfly nymph.

Take it out ASAP whenever u see it.
It can eat everything in your tank

I have no idea where it has gone :( but as soon as I see it next I will definitely remove it!
Thank you.

Dragonfly nymph.

Take it out ASAP whenever u see it.
It can eat everything in your tank

Sorry bud, not trying to be rude here, but your I.D. in this case is incorrect. The gill filaments off of the abdomen, which are clearly visible make it a damselfly, not a dragonfly. Both insects belong in the same family, Odonata, and both are predators. However typically only the dragonfly gets large enough to bother aquarium fish.

For comparison purposes, here is a picture of a damselfly nymph;
img_2007821_0_758b074a8274138f3014ae4d8a13251b.jpg

and here is a dragonfly (the one on the right);
img_2007821_1_0525cb7ced8870195e8243d7fa53cdff.jpg

If you look closely at the tip of the abdomen, the difference is easy to see.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom