Weird corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frogspawn

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey sup guys its been about 2 weeks since i posted and like befor i was having problems with my corals (pulsing zenia, torch coral) going into hiding at night.

i still am having these problems they seem to go into hiding about 10mins after the lighting go out and then come back out of hiding 5-6 hrs later. in the day. they look so good. i think there both growin well. i am just concerned about them hidein like this. i do my PWC every week 2-4g and i add filter food 3 times a week. all my water specs are great excet the PH in the moring its about 7.8 and at late day its about 8.0 . my tank is only about 2 months old. i cant get my PH to go to 8.2, never have. except when i add new salt mix.
any idea what to do. or should i stick it out and wait to see the PH pans out over time

Sounds like totally normal behavior. Some corals will retract their flesh at night sometimes, to avoid predation I assume. My BT anemones start hiding about an hour or so before lights out- they seem to know it's coming. As far as PH goes, I don't think there is much you can do. I know you've tried opening a window, and have good water flow. With out taking some kind of drastic measure, I think now it just needs time. FWIW when my tank was newer going to 7.8 at night was common for me. HTH

cool thanks so much. i was worried . i try research on both these corals but could not find anything on them hiding. but again i thank u for the info. now mabey i will get a mushroom or somthing hardy :)

Sticking to hardy corals for now is definitely the right thing to do. Down the road when things level out some, PH starts coming around, and you have some more experience under your belt, you could add some more demanding pieces. Best of luck and happy reefing!

PH cn take a bit of time to stablize in a new tank is your tank open or closed top ? If it is open try opening a window as others have recommended but with fans pointed at it ...If useing RO/DI water it may need buffering but only after trying the other stuff first . However if you fin that you need to buffer test test and retest then test again to prevent a precip from happening and your alk from droping always dose slowly and under as it is easier to add than to treat for an overdose of a suppliment ...

Back
Top Bottom