Weird dalmatian Molly behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ascarp33

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've been having some issues with my mollies! I recently bought two female dalmatian mollies and one day one of them was kinda swimming in place on the bottom very strangely, after I had them for a week and a half. She died that night. The other one started to do it the next day and I thought for sure it was going to die too. But for two days now it has been going back and fourth between swimming strangely at the bottom and floating at the top. Can't help but to mention that she swims in place in the exact spot the other one did! She isn't eating very much either- the flakes literally fall onto her and she doesn't eat it! I don't know what to do. I haven't used any products and I don't think it could be a problem with the tank. Is she grieving the loss of her friend or is she sick too?

Have u tested the water to make sure. Any signs on the fish body of sickness.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've been having some issues with my mollies! I recently bought two female dalmatian mollies and one day one of them was kinda swimming in place on the bottom very strangely, after I had them for a week and a half. She died that night. The other one started to do it the next day and I thought for sure it was going to die too. But for two days now it has been going back and fourth between swimming strangely at the bottom and floating at the top. Can't help but to mention that she swims in place in the exact spot the other one did! She isn't eating very much either- the flakes literally fall onto her and she doesn't eat it! I don't know what to do. I haven't used any products and I don't think it could be a problem with the tank. Is she grieving the loss of her friend or is she sick too?

Ok, firsts thing we need is tank size. Is the tank cycled? Do you know what a cycle is? Do you have a filter? Do you know what your water parameters are?

These are all going to help us help figure out what's wrong with your fish. It sounds like swim bladder disease. Try feeding them cooked or blanched peas for now. We can help you more once we know the answers to the questions above.

I cycled the tank 24 hours before adding fish. It is only a three gallon because I can't have anything bigger in my dorm room. I know it's small for a Molly but it's a round aquarium so I thought it could swim around easier. I don't know how to do PWC or anything. I went to the pet store and said I wanted fish and they sent me home with a tank and two mollies and fish food. I have now researched and realized I should've done more. But please help me save my Molly.

Did they provide you with any filter system at all? Any advice? Can you get your hands on a larger second hand tank and get a filter, etc.. Did the shop give you any treatment for the tap water that you are using? Gosh where to start. Do you know anyone that has an established aquarium who may also have the facility of a quarantine tank?

Ya i mean their could be 50 things that cause a fish to not eat and swim in place, but my first question is
ANy visible signs of ick, fungus, white spores or clamping fins?
Are the gills red and labored breathing.
ANy scratching/flashing or erratic swimming behavior?

1) to small for mollies, they get fairly big and active
2) 24 hours without chemicals is way to soon. Did you treat the water?
3) were the mollies they gave you pregnant? Perhaps and they are super stressed and about to birth. This would make them find a place to stay put on the lower portion of the tank and try to give birth. If stressed from being in a tiny tank and poor water quality she may try to hold back and die.

Honestly the best thing you could do is bring the poor molly back, get the chemicals to instant cycle your tank and buy 2 guppys for a tank that size with maybe a nce floating plant

Back
Top Bottom