Weird surface film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Avidon

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I've noticed this strange looking film developing on the surface of my cichlid tank. I've never seen this stuff before. I did a water test today and all my water conditions are okay. I recently moved my sump to the middle of the tank so I'm not getting so much surface movement as I did before. Anyway, wanted to know if this stuff is harmless or if it's something I should worry about.

-Thanks

That's a protein film. It's caused by too many dissolved organics. it can be corrected with weekly water changes as high of a percentage that asks for it to disappear and water surface agitation. I get this every once in a while, I think it's caused by over feeding I tend to get some bubble/foam type stuff on the sides of my tank at the top of the water and it annoys me cause it makes my tank look dirty when it really isn't but I haven't gotten any of these in a month+ but when I did I'd just change the water

Is this film an indication of poor water quality or maintenance? Is this stuff a commonly encountered phenomenon in the hobby?

Is this film an indication of poor water quality or maintenance? Is this stuff a commonly encountered phenomenon in the hobby?

It's perfectly normal. There is a product called a surface skimmer that will attach to your hob filter and pull the water from the top of your tank which will suck up the bio film cleaning the surface of your water.

I had this problem when I first got my canister filters. So I got a air pump. Since I'm not a huge fan of bubbles in the tank, I have it on a timer from 2am-7am. That way I won't ever see or hear the bubbles but they do the job for that crap.

You can increase surface agitation. If it's done and don't work, then you'll probably need a surface skimmer, or something like an overflow tube. This bring the surface of the water into the filter, so the film get trapped.

All you need is an air pump or a powerhead with a venturi tube. The popping bubbles disperse this film and dissolve it back into the water. A surface skimmer works as well.

I've always just used an airstone to get rid of it. The airstone has to be strategically positioned, of course. You can't put it somewhere where there's no surface movement or there will still be protein slick in some parts of your tank.

Back
Top Bottom