Went fishing and dont know what this fish is...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustinCase

Aquarium Advice Activist
I dont know if its a catfish or a shark but I caught this in Texas city tx. close to Galveston tx.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

These are the pictures.. sorry my picture come out sideways on this site

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1404131808721.jpg
    1404131808721.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 174
  • 1404131844649.jpg
    1404131844649.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 180
Why did you keep it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

when I lived in the Carolina 's they always called them CROAKERS
as they croaked like a frog
weather thats there name or not I have no clue

It is a croaker (family Sciaenidae), and a member of the genus Menticirrhus (commonly called kingcroakers or kingfish). I can't see the sides of the body to see if it has dusky bars or not. If it does, it's probably a Southern Kingcroaker (Menticirrhus littoralis). If not, I think it's most likely a Gulf Kingcroaker (Menticirrhus littoralis). The dusky tip on the dorsal fin suggests it's more likely the latter species. I can see why they would be called "whitening". That's a corruption of "whiting", which is an unrelated fish with a barbel and similar body shape. Sniperhank's scientific name refers to true whiting - and shows how confusing common names can be.

It is a croaker (family Sciaenidae), and a member of the genus Menticirrhus (commonly called kingcroakers or kingfish). I can't see the sides of the body to see if it has dusky bars or not. If it does, it's probably a Southern Kingcroaker (Menticirrhus littoralis). If not, I think it's most likely a Gulf Kingcroaker (Menticirrhus littoralis). The dusky tip on the dorsal fin suggests it's more likely the latter species. I can see why they would be called "whitening". That's a corruption of "whiting", which is an unrelated fish with a barbel and similar body shape. Sniperhank's scientific name refers to true whiting - and shows how confusing common names can be.

I meant whiting not whitening. Auto correct sorry about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom