What are glofish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are injected with dye and it should be banned. Stop buying them.
Haha just MHO

they are not injected with dye.

The Science of GloFish®
Where do GloFish® fluorescent fish come from?
GloFish® fluorescent fish were originally bred to help detect environmental pollutants. By adding a natural fluorescence gene to the fish, scientists hope to one day quickly and easily determine when a waterway is contaminated. The first step in developing a pollution-detecting fish was to create fish that would be fluorescent all the time. Scientists soon realized the public's interest in sharing the benefits of this research, a process which lead to GloFish® fluorescent fish.
Where does the fluorescent color come from?
The fluorescent color in our fish is produced by a fluorescent protein gene, which creates the beautiful fluorescence that can be seen when looking at the fish. The fluorescent protein genes occur naturally, and are derived from marine organisms.
Do you have to add a fluorescence gene to every fish before it hatches?
No. Today's GloFish® fluorescent fish are bred from the offspring of fluorescent fish that were originally developed several years ago. Each new GloFish® fluorescent fish inherits its unique color directly from its parents, maintains the color throughout its life, and passes the color along to its offspring.
Does the fluorescence harm the fish?
No. The fish are as healthy as other fish in every way. Scientists originally developed them several years ago by adding a natural fluorescence gene to the fish eggs before they hatched. Today's GloFish® fluorescent fish are bred from the offspring of these original fish.

I think they are tacky personally, and they definitely promote the 'novelty' aspect of fishkeeping.

There are also now genetically modified black skirt tetras available, what's next? Cichlids? Other household pets? These are just questions I ask myself when thinking about this particular fish, a living animal with a copyright.

if you dont like them for religious regions i can see why you are mad but if its cause of another reason i dont get it, how its disgusting?

what they did was was they had zebra danio eggs and sperm and introduced a protein to it that changed their color. so basically it would like if when you were concieved they introduced a protein and your eyes came out purple instead of brown or blue. that was only with the first batch then the rest just breed naturally and they have the color passed down. the fish isnt hurt in anyway, they dont live any shorter of a life. the other fish dont laugh at them and they let them play their fishy games.

i really dont care for them only because they cost so much and even if they were cheaper i still might not buy them just because they dont do anything for me. I am against tattooed fish/ died fish because that is wrong and i dont think anyone on here disagrees with that.

These were genetically engineered, the ones they tattoo with little hearts & what not those are the terrible ones should be against the law for animal cruelty if so were the case

Still not sure why they are banned in the UK but kids really seem to love them here in the states. I think it's a pretty sweet way to get kids interested in something besides tv.

The natural colors are more attractive to me anyway lol. I hate the fact that they are modified and they look fake to me.

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with the GloFish. I also find them tacky, kinda like the silly decorations and clown puke gravel, but some people are into that so that's a taste issue. I have more problems with blood parrots than these guys. I think people see the colorings and assume the worst.

Glofish are a type of danio that have been genetically altered to have fancy colours. I think they are so unnatural and artificial that I dont go near them.

I prefer natural color fish. They technically they aren't banned in California, they just have never gone through the approval process. The result is the same and you can't get them here. I think this is the only state in the US where you can't get them.

These fish carry these colors as a genetic trait so there is no cruelty involved. What does concern me is when it is recommended to use blacklight to "bring out" the colors. Blacklight should be used with caution when living things are involved. So just don't keep them under black lights, please.

I prefer natural looking fish, too. They just look tacky to me. Now, when I was 10 I probably would have been all over them, kind of like how I used to insist on the tacky multicolored Christmas tree lights instead of the more elegant white lights. They would be great for getting kids interested in fishkeeping. Personally, I think the fact that we can genetically modify them is pretty cool. No moral objections to it whatsoever, unlike the whole dyed and tattooed fish thing. I just don't want them in my tanks.

Genetic modification bothers me because it's permanently altering nature. For a benign purpose like medical research I can understand the need. These guys claim this product originates from pollution detection but does that justify profiteering off of them now? Its going to take someone putting a glowing gene and copyright into a dog or a human for someone to say enough is enough. Its accepted with fish because people see them as objects.

GailLA said:
I prefer natural color fish. They technically they aren't banned in California, they just have never gone through the approval process. The result is the same and you can't get them here. I think this is the only state in the US where you can't get them.

These fish carry these colors as a genetic trait so there is no cruelty involved. What does concern me is when it is recommended to use blacklight to "bring out" the colors. Blacklight should be used with caution when living things are involved. So just don't keep them under black lights, please.

I live in the east bay in California and some pet stores carry them

Genetic modification bothers me because it's permanently altering nature. For a benign purpose like medical research I can understand the need. These guys claim this product originates from pollution detection but does that justify profiteering off of them now? Its going to take someone putting a glowing gene and copyright into a dog or a human for someone to say enough is enough. Its accepted with fish because people see them as objects.

I agree fully.

Back
Top Bottom