What Are High-Tech And Low-Tech Tanks? And Other Questions On How To Plant A Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodcatl493

Aquarium Advice Activist
What Are High-Tech, Low-Tech, and Hybrid Planted Aquariums?

I'm starting up my 55 gallon tank again, and I want to plant it. This will be my first fully planted aquarium. No fake plants. I want to know what these terms mean and the difference between them.

Should I cycle the tank with or without plants? From what I know so far is that's a good thing to do because all of the nutrients in the soil and water will be used quickly, and plants can flourish, preventing algae growth.

How do I know when the tank is ready for fish?

There are several factors that distinguish high tech and low tech planted tanks. I believe the primary factor is the use of injected CO2 (as opposed to diy CO2). Other devices that are considered high tech include automatic pH controllers and automated fertilizer dosing systems. These devices help promote a stable environment and can be useful if one cannot always be present attend to the tank's daily needs.
Growing plants successfully requires a balance between light, carbon dioxide, and fertilizers. The amount of light strongly influences the need for the other two. Simply put, more light there is, then more CO2 and fertilizers are needed. Less light, then less CO2 and fertilizers. Low tech tanks typically operate with less light than high tech tanks. This decreases the need for CO2 and fertilizers. There is always CO2 present in the water by way of biological respiration and the surrounding air. Plants in a low tech setup can make use of this CO2.
High tech tanks with medium high to high lighting can go awry much quicker than a low tech tank. Maintaining a balance can quite tricky. When things get out of balance, plant health can suffer and opportunistic algae can gain a foothold.
Dirt/soil can be used for a planted tank but it is not mandatory. Substrates such as CaribSea EcoComplete is a relatively inexpensive substrate that plants do well in. Though it is thought to be inert (does not contain an abundance of fertilizers), it has a high CEC (cation exchange capacity) which "attracts" compounds that are favorable for plant growth. Sand can also be used. Both of these substrates will benefit from the additional of root fertilizer supplements.
With planted tanks, vacuuming the substrate is not always recommended. It can lead to root damage and nutrient loss in the substrate.
^^^^^^^^^^^
Your questions changed while I was posting this message. You can cycle with or without plants. Plants can affect the cycle by consuming the very things you are trying to measure while cycling a tank. By doing so, they can help prevent a dangerous buildup of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. This is often termed a silent cycle. Of course, the appropriate buildup of beneficial bacteria is needed regardless of whether you choose to do a fishless or fish-in cycle. If you are doing a fishless cycle, then when the tank can convert a measured amount of ammonia (2-4 ppm) within a 24 hour period then it's safe to add fish. This can take several weeks. If you are doing a fish-in cycle, then stock lightly, measure the parameters frequently, and perform water changes as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the detailed reply. I have yet to get a stand for this tank so I'm doing more research. Most of what you told me I already know, just had to remember (lots to take in at once) like the CNC and attracting particles... That's how the soil doesn't lose its nutrients!

Ok, so all I have to do are water changes to make sure there is no buildup of chemicals.
Thanks for making clear the differences in tank "tech". In reading I was confused because people didn't exaggerate. In that case I'm running hybrid because I'll be using soil with gravel on top, no artificial light, no CO2. Yes for the filter. Any advice on that setup?

Yes, I also remember the plants using up harmful chemicals, useful to cycle the tank quicker.

It will be in direct sunlight, can't find any other place to put it than my living room.
What should I do when I'm going to go on vacation?

The only other question I can think of now is: What soil substrate should I use? How much? Then how much gravel on top of that?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes for the filter. Any advice on that setup?
It will be in direct sunlight, can't find any other place to put it than my living room.
What should I do when I'm going to go on vacation?
The only other question I can think of now is: What soil substrate should I use? How much? Then how much gravel on top of that?

As for the filter, depends on the size of the tank. 30g and under, an HOB style external filter should be fine. I recommend the Fluval/AquaClear series. For larger tanks, a canister filter often recommended.
Be wary of using direct sunlight. It is often difficult to control and can affect the tank's temperature.
As for vacation, if it's a low tech tank and already cycled and with fish...not much to do then. Fish (not fry) can go for days without eating.
Miracle Grow organic potting soil is often mentioned for planted tanks. I have yet to use it (or setup a dirted tank) so someone can chime in.

I have a low tech tank. I use organic miracle gro. For rooted plants I see really good growth. I have rearrange a tank a couple times and the roots on the plants are always gigantic. You just have to be careful to not add too much dirt or you will have algea problems with all the excess nutrients in the dirt. I cap the dirt with pool filter sand. When is set up next tank I will find a different cap, probably black sand.

I use an aqua clear hob filter and it does a really nice job of keeping the water clear.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I personally like Eheim filters. I think they are of good quality. In terms of the dirt, I personally wouldn't fool with it. I know that many others use it, but it can make a huge mess when rearranging plants. It'd be more simple to just use Eco-complete.

I personally like Eheim filters. I think they are of good quality. In terms of the dirt, I personally wouldn't fool with it. I know that many others use it, but it can make a huge mess when rearranging plants. It'd be more simple to just use Eco-complete.

What else do you use with Eco-complete? I have tried it before with little success.

I have a low tech tank. I use organic miracle gro. For rooted plants I see really good growth. I have rearrange a tank a couple times and the roots on the plants are always gigantic. You just have to be careful to not add too much dirt or you will have algea problems with all the excess nutrients in the dirt. I cap the dirt with pool filter sand.

I was planning on buying 60lb of ecocomplete which would be about $60.
Is miracle gro harder to maintain or are there stuff I need to know about it? I've seen sale price of 20lb for about $5 so that'll save me a chunk of money towards other things I need for my tank. How much dirt is too much? How much should I buy for my 55g? Is capping the dirt necessary/what does it do or if it for show? TIA

Sent from my XT1049 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Dirt is hard to get going but it's awesome after that. Plants will grow fine with any commercial substrate already mentioned. I think soil has more synergetic properties between plant roots and microorganisms. I can account for the huge root systems when using soil but this may have also been observed by others using Eco complete for example.

If you use dirt I strongly recommend that you mineralise it first. This will prevent 90% of the problems that people face when using soil and don't mineralise it I (like me)

I mineralised in one tank and not the other, the differences were obvious. Mineralising means breaking down the ammonia in the soil before submerging.

This article written by Aaron Talbot on APC is the best explanation I have found.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...ate-aaron-talbot.html#/topics/52554?_k=7i6g4t

Basically you end up with a fluffy, almost feather-like soil that will not cause problems with algae or encourage low oxygen conditions.

If you use dirt I also strongly recommend weekly water changes and very good flow and filtration. You need lots of O2 in a soil tank. It should provide micronutrients indefinitely and a excellent CEC.

I have a thread on dirt. And on soil.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/calibans-dirted-46-bowfront-342717-5.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/the-soil-substrate-explained-343789.html

As fresh said. Soil is not compulsory and with the help of column fertilisers a planted tank can look just as healthy using any aquarium substrate.

As for the filter, depends on the size of the tank. 30g and under, an HOB style external filter should be fine. I recommend the Fluval/AquaClear series. For larger tanks, a canister filter often recommended.
Be wary of using direct sunlight. It is often difficult to control and can affect the tank's temperature.
As for vacation, if it's a low tech tank and already cycled and with fish...not much to do then. Fish (not fry) can go for days without eating.
Miracle Grow organic potting soil is often mentioned for planted tanks. I have yet to use it (or setup a dirted tank) so someone can chime in.

Okay, so just give them an automatic feeder and I'm good. Or just let the cycle continue.

I have a low tech tank. I use organic miracle gro. For rooted plants I see really good growth. I have rearrange a tank a couple times and the roots on the plants are always gigantic. You just have to be careful to not add too much dirt or you will have algea problems with all the excess nutrients in the dirt. I cap the dirt with pool filter sand. When is set up next tank I will find a different cap, probably black sand.

I use an aqua clear hob filter and it does a really nice job of keeping the water clear.

This tank comes with a Marineland HOT Magnum filter, 250 GPH. Where should I place it to get the most nutrients to the plants?

I agree. I like Fluval and Ehiem because from what I can tell thier products are great, any of them. I haven't actually purchased anything from them because of cost... My parents said it was too expensive. ?

I was actually thinking of getting Eco-Complete. At this point I'm not sure.

And I have a major issue... The PH of my water here is 8.8.Way too high for plants of fish. What can I do to lower it to the range of plants and fish? Like 6.6-7.0?
And how should I do water changes with this PH?

And I have a major issue... The PH of my water here is 8.8.Way too high for plants of fish. What can I do to lower it to the range of plants and fish? Like 6.6-7.0?
And how should I do water changes with this PH?

That's pretty high indeed. I would start with filtering your water and see where that puts it. It may be better to buy filtered water. It's hard to give good examples. I have never had a pH issue.

I'll see what I can do. But, I need to test my tap water. I'm testing the PH from my 25 gallon that was filled with tap water.
The fish seem to be doing great. They probably have adjusted to the PH of the water.

Test results: PH between 8.0 and 8.2...

Attachments

• 1469639025121.jpg
    1469639025121.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 69
This tank comes with a Marineland HOT Magnum filter, 250 GPH.

I like how we're in the exact same boat! Same tank and filter, looking into ecocomplete/soil and starting a diy stand! The only difference is you're going to home depot and I'm going to Lowe's. XD What kind of lighting do you have?

Sent from my XT1049 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom