What are some good corals for beginners to start out with? No SPS...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melissa716

Aquarium Advice Regular
New to the scene and, although I'm not done cycling yet, wondering what corals would be good to add and how to care for them. Also, gathering that the CUC is added first...?

The best, IMO at least, are softies such as zoanthids and mushrooms. They really don't need much care besides reasonably decent lights such as PC and T5 along with some clean water. Zoas are also a good warning for parameter fluctuations as they will close up if something is out of whack. Some LPS are pretty easy too, such as candy cane. Hope this helps.

What's IMO lol? Thanks for the advice, I'm feeling overwhelmed! I have 2 60" 320W (80x4) HO T5's and I'm wondering if I need to use both (they both fit over the tank) or if one will do?

for sps both would be advisable, however lps and softies dont require massive amounts of light like the sps' do so you can probably get by with just one, I'm sure someone will contradict me if they think otherwise, but some softies will get bleached out by too much light.

Okay, I'm so antsy to get started but probably have awhile yet, dagnabbit. I'll probably have to get the crags and then re-post and ask for advice at the time or I'll totally forget.
What were you saying Flake?

Sorry, my fault for using the acronym, I try not to use it that often. For the lights, use both fixtures. Softies won't bleach with just four T5 bulbs. If you don't plan on getting LPS right away, you could get by with just one fixture to conserve bulb life if you wanted to.

Back
Top Bottom