What are these fry??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itsazoohere

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In my 6 ft tank I have had recently neon tetras, mollies, platys, various catfish, a small red tailed shark
and since yesterday two rescues oscars.
I had moved all smaller fish into a smaller tank a week or so ago as I want the tank to go in a different direction, but I left some breeding nets in there as I have six sword tails ready to pop.
I put two into nets today (they weren't skittish or I'd have moved them back) and a bit later found TINY babies swimming around the tank. They are far smaller than any Molly or guppy fry I've ever seen.
Googleing images doesn't help!

I thought I had...but I'm a little rubbish.

Attachments

• image-2455871144.jpg
    image-2455871144.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 108
I'm a little scared to put them in with my 2 wk old guppy fry-they are sooo much smaller.

Why are they in a coffee cup? I can't begin to believe you have a coffee cup that's filtered with a heater. LOL

I have no idea what they are. They are so very tiny.

Because I fished them out from my big tank as I didn't want to leave them with my big fish, nor put them with in my community tank with lots of hungry mollies-and I'm not sure if they'll be ok in my fry tank! I have another tank, but for the last hour they've been in an ice cream tub with me refreshing water while I scan big tank constantly trying to spot more before the Oscars do.
I only caught them in the cup to take a photo-honest! (I have to many lazy teens here that would take a swig without looking).
I just want to i.d them so I can work out how to look after them!

Is it possible the tetras or danios had fry? If so, what do I do?
They are so very different to Molly/guppy fry-do swordtail fry look so different?
Arghhh!
(thanks for replying, am struggling here!)

If you have a breeder net, you could place them back into their original tank inside the net.

They would swim through the holes-they are seriously tiny. But swimming happily, so far.

Do you have a bunch of java moss you could drop them into? I'm just worried about them going into temperature change/pH/water param shock the longer you keep them out figuring out what to do....

Just realised I forgot to add 6 zebra danios to list of recent occupants.

I've got a 3 ft tank set up-I went to pick up a free tank that I saw advertised yesterday; only to find out it had two v large Oscars and an 8" Pleco in it. I've kept it running empty-should I put them on there?
I've covered the filters with cut off tights already, I thought that may be my only choice.

(and I agree-I'm to scared to do anything, but doing nothing is probably worse)

My current zebra danio fry are tiny and white. It is hard to tell the color of the fry with the purple background...

This tank came with half it's original water, same filters and test kits say it's ok, so d'you reckon that's my best shot?
I wish I could get a better picture, but I wouldn't say they were white. See through, with black eyes and bones.

Sorry it's an almost pointlessly bad photo!

Attachments

• image-277512765.jpg
    image-277512765.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 58
If you put only those little things in a tank, you'll lose your cycle. To be honest, if it was me, I'd just pop them into the tank you have that already contains fry. If you take a breeder's net and shove java moss into it, I don't think they'll bother trying to escape. It's amazing how fry's self-preservation instinct kicks in, if we only allow it. I never remove my fry from tanks and they just stay out of harm's way until they know they're big enough to not get eaten up.

I've been trying to get java moss for the rtc I have in the fry tank, but to no avail yet.
Ok, will put them in with other fry-will also chuck in all the fake plants I own to give them hiding spots.
Should I just feed them brine shrimp and crushed flakes?

Back
Top Bottom