What are these guys doing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Susie Q

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I went to the lfs today to get another clown. I've got a new breedery too, with a lid. I put the new clown in it for a few hours and then released it into the main tank(18 gal Isolation tank),because the bigger clown was paying no attention to it. Well they started swimming on their sides and shivering at each other. They almost looked like they were schooling and even swimming in and out of the rocks that the bigger clown has been sleeping in. This went on for about 30 min then the bigger clown hit the smaller one. I recaught the smaller on and put it back in the breedery.
What did we do wrong? Any suggestions will be welcomed.

All fish do this and are just sizing each other up, presenting defensive display posturing. Usually if neither will back down the larger will not tolerate their territory being challenged and becomes physical. Pairing clowns can be tricky, but expect the more dominant to nip and bully the newer addition until a "tolerance" can be accepted. There is a fine line between tolerance and physical brutality with fish, but usually you can get an idea by any abnormal breathing/swimming patterns. You can always use a separation device to provide a less dramatic introduction: breeder box, acclimation box, etc.

I agree with James that there is going to be some trial and battle time. Try cutting the lights off for a while to hopefully cut down on the aggression.

Someone here once equated the "shivering" to "getting their groove thing on". So maybe it wasn't a bad thing. As Innovator mentions, some bullying is to be expected in the courting ritual.

They were sold to me as a. percula clowns. I’ll post a picture of the new one. They both have 10 spines, counting from the start of the front dorsal fin to the start of the back dorsal fin. Am I counting in the right place? The new clown was the smallest in the tank and their were 2 bigger in with it. I kept the new clown in a breedery all night and day, kept the lights off. We removed both fish and rearranged the tank. They seem to be doing fine now, no fighting , just swimming around together and shivering. Thanks for the Help.
View attachment 14178
New Clown Size 1 in L x 3/4 in T
View attachment 14179
Old Clown Sze 1 1/2 in L x 1 in T

Those are Ocellaris Clowns (Amphiprion ocellaris) not True clowns (Amphiprion percula). Here is one of mine A. percula. Notice how thick the black stripes are.

Attachments

• clown-hammer-fiji2.jpg
    clown-hammer-fiji2.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_3903.jpg
    IMG_3903.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 53
Back
Top Bottom