What are these little things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gpakillsme

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have found at least 10 of them in my tank, please help me to identify it.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 334
It looks like glass nems...(aiptasia) Bad thing. You should get a peppermint shrimp to eat them.

The reason I recommended the shrimp is if he has corals that are close to them the lemon juice can kill or damage the near by coral.. Same thing as boiling water. Also if he has a large infestation the shrimp will do a better job to subdue them from coming back. Just my two cents worth

people have used apistax with corals i believe my concern is what happens if the shrimp dont even look at the apista they tend to be a hit or miss

I don't think those are aiptasias, I don't think they come in that color and also the shape doesn't really look like aiptasias, but then again, I am probably wrong LOL

It looks like glass nems...(aiptasia) Bad thing. You should get a peppermint shrimp to eat them.

I did some research, I think you are right, it does looks like aiptasia..good thing is I dont have any coral, but I notice it start to spread over the tank. I just got one anemone, I am considering to get a peppermint shrimp

From the looks you'd need a bushel... I'd go the kalk route and target kill.. and btw.. you got one heck of an algae sit-e-ation going there too. You might want to take a step back and come up with a plan.

people have used apistax with corals i believe my concern is what happens if the shrimp dont even look at the apista they tend to be a hit or miss
What color are your shrimps eyes? There are 2 different species being sold as peppermint shrimp get the ones with dark black/brown eyes not the green eyed ones.

I have used about $60 worth of aiptasia x in one of my tanks and still hey are just as happy and healthy as ever. As soon as my BCS out of there and in another tank in will go 3 peppermint shrimp. I have used lemon juice, vinegar, fresh water and even very hot fresh water to get rid of them in the tank. If they survive the peppermint shrimp I will get myself one of these Amazon.com: Majano Wand - Mojano & Aiptasia Zapper: Kitchen & Dining

Heads up for a long post :) First...what type of live rock do yo have? Any Pacific version..ie, Tonga Branch. There are two varieties of Aiptasia..one that muiltiplies like crazy, which looks like the one you have, or others form the gulf or atlantic that are still Aiptasia but do not take over the tank. Peppermint shrimp will work on small Aiptasias as long as they are the Pacific variety shrimp...Peppermint shrimp from the east and gulf coast do not recognize Aiptasia as a food source...hence the hit and miss problem.

Here is another recipe for Aiptasia euthanasia. Take 1 teaspoon Kalkwasser powder, mix in two tablespoons water...microwave for about 20 seconds. Use a syringe, I got mine in the puppy feeding area of Petsmart...10 cc. Stir the Kalk mix and suck it up into the syringe. It helps to wet the rubber seal first before sucking up the Kalk mix...allows the plunger to slide more easily.

Make sure you turn off your pumps before going Aiptasia hunting. They are going to retract as soon as they feel the start of the Kalk but just coat the hole or crevice. Be careful of coral nearby as the concentrated Kalk will kill them as well..you have to have good targeting ability..get the tip of the syringe as close to the place where the Aiptasia is hiding. Wait about 20 minutes or so before turning your pump(s) back on.

Our peppermint shrimp ate all of our aiptasia, including the large ones, and then continued to live happy little lives eating off the bottom of the tank and cleaning our rock. They come out at feeding time and at night. Very cool little Critters who have gotten fairly large over the past few months. We chose this route over poisoning the anemones and it worked quite well for all involved.
That being said our aiptasia didn't look quite like those in the original photo. They were more "brown" and had thinner tentacles.

Heads up for a long post :) First...what type of live rock do yo have? Any Pacific version..ie, Tonga Branch. There are two varieties of Aiptasia..one that muiltiplies like crazy, which looks like the one you have, or others form the gulf or atlantic that are still Aiptasia but do not take over the tank. Peppermint shrimp will work on small Aiptasias as long as they are the Pacific variety shrimp...Peppermint shrimp from the east and gulf coast do not recognize Aiptasia as a food source...hence the hit and miss problem.

Here is another recipe for Aiptasia euthanasia. Take 1 teaspoon Kalkwasser powder, mix in two tablespoons water...microwave for about 20 seconds. Use a syringe, I got mine in the puppy feeding area of Petsmart...10 cc. Stir the Kalk mix and suck it up into the syringe. It helps to wet the rubber seal first before sucking up the Kalk mix...allows the plunger to slide more easily.

Make sure you turn off your pumps before going Aiptasia hunting. They are going to retract as soon as they feel the start of the Kalk but just coat the hole or crevice. Be careful of coral nearby as the concentrated Kalk will kill them as well..you have to have good targeting ability..get the tip of the syringe as close to the place where the Aiptasia is hiding. Wait about 20 minutes or so before turning your pump(s) back on.

The problem is I am not sure which kind of live rocks I have, I will post the pic later tonight, but anyway, I dont think it spreads very quickly. After 1.5 month, increased from 5-15(or 20). I dont have coral but only one anemone. How harmful it is?

Our peppermint shrimp ate all of our aiptasia, including the large ones, and then continued to live happy little lives eating off the bottom of the tank and cleaning our rock. They come out at feeding time and at night. Very cool little Critters who have gotten fairly large over the past few months. We chose this route over poisoning the anemones and it worked quite well for all involved.
That being said our aiptasia didn't look quite like those in the original photo. They were more "brown" and had thinner tentacles.

I just bought 2 peppermint shrimp, but it stays under rock during the day time. I havnt notice the number of aiptasia decrease...hopfully, it will happen soon

It took a few days for ours to venture out. And they did all the dirty work at night with the lights off.

Back
Top Bottom