What are these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flreefer

Aquarium Advice Addict
I would like to know what these are. I think they are a type of tube worm because they retract when disturbed, but don't really know. Are they a known pest? They've proliferated to the point that they encroach other corals, like Monti's and Zoos. I finally got a Copperband after long thought, hoping it would trim the population( thinking its a tube worm), and luckily he loves them! Any thoughts?

Definatly looks the hydroids I had. I had to cut the colony of the rock. they were spreading like mad. Since then I have not seen any more.

X... Do you think my Copperband is actually eating the Hydroids, or is he just pickin pods out of them, hard to tell the difference by sight, happens to fast. They do seem to be thinning out a little, though. Thanks

Yeah, he ate frozen super shrimp from the LFS, and still does, but he bites into the Hydroids constantly, hunting...cool to watch!

I had one that lasted about 3 months. All he ate was pods. If I had to guess, I would think he's eating pods. those hydroids sting though. I wonder if he's feeling that.

Yeah I agree, he's probably just after pods. Any other ways of getting rid of it besides Kalkwasser? I resisted getting a Copper, for years, this one came up at my favorite place, about 3 3/4", and ate frozen! Had him about 3 months.

With their numbers, paste would probably be the easiest, you think? Anything to be careful of using Kalkwasser paste?

if you use enough of it, it will effect your parameters. I would kill small patches of it every few days. Also, don't touch any corals with it, because it will have a similar effect on them.

From what I read on reefs.org, Hydroids will usually diminish I time in the aquarium. I don't know how much I believe that because I've had moving patches of it since the beginning( 7+ years). One piece dies off as another or two start to appear.
It seems to be dwindling in areas and the more I watch my Copperband, I swear he's tearing off the greenish fringes. Tried to catch him in action!

View attachment 82264

View attachment 82267

This fish is so fun to watch!

Back
Top Bottom