What bulb to choose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KentCurtis

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone. I am wanting to do alot more planting in my 20g tank right now but am unsure what kinda of light I should be getting :confused: . I want a medium powered flourescent, just dont know the numbers on them. Also, at what point should adding co2 to the water be considered? I have heard about it, just not sure when it becomes necesarry. Thanks everybody.

Stick with ~40w of T5 or slightly less w/o CO2, the 48w Nova fixture would prob be OK also

Any lighting between 5000K and 10000K color temperature will work for plants. Is your 20 gallon a long or a high tank?

If you get up above about 40 watts, you'll need to start thinking about CO2 supplementation.

do you want to add co2? heck i have a 20 gal tank with 2 cfl bulbs over it and growing a lot of plants.

I have 65w over my 20 long and no co2. I have some algae, but I've learned that some algae is unavoidable. I have alot of stem plants to help take in nutrients. The 30" T5-HO fixture would probably be ok without co2. Keep your lighting period to about 8 hours.

Back
Top Bottom