What can go in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Illusion4

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So iv got a 55 gallon saltwater tank that's got some reef aspects but isn't a full reef tank. It's got about 7 pound of live rock that I'm using decoratively, a large fake rock that looks like live rock, a small red mushroom, a pink birdsnest, also small. Also I have 2 5 inch Kenya trees. As far as fish go I have 6 green chromis, a diamond watchman goby, a firefish goby, a sixline wrasse who is surprisingly peaceful, a sand sifting starfish, astrea snails, sand sifting snails, a few little white starfish, a hermit crab, and a feather duster.
So I want to put in something colorful. My tanks 55 gallons so that rules out tangs and a lot of angels. I recently got a 1 inch flame angel. He did fine for 4 days but the last 3 days he hid and didn't eat and died shortly after. No signs of sickness or parasites.
So considering my size and set up what could I get?

Youre pushing stock levels in my opinion but if youre looking for color a midas blenny and royal gramma are neat choices. Maybe even a single small anthias, not one of the big ones, but colorful still.

Maybe another flame angel or how about a hawkfish?

LOL Just throwing out some ideas :-D

Do you mind me asking what kind of filtration you are using? If your live rock is your only filtration I would suggest getting more, much more! It will also provide more hiding places and prevent stress in the individual fish.

If you want something that doesn't add too much to your bioload I can only suggest a couple of peppermint(or any other) shrimp.

I've got a tetra powerfilter fit for a 60 gallon and a prizm skimmer also for 60. Iv got plenty of hiding spaces. I have a diamond watchman goby, would he mess with the Midas blenny? And don't anthias need around 70 gallons?

Some anthias do, I was thinking of the lyretails or some of the other smaller ones. They suggest 70g but I think a four foot tank would be ok for one. Not the squarebacks or anything crazy though and only one. But thats just me, I'm trying to give you some options that are a bit out of the ordinary. :)

In all honesty i think your pretty stocked already but what would one more fish be? LOL And if you want one more theres nothing anyone on here can can do to deter you so I figure why not help? :)

Hmm I just noticed your filtration.....You are on the low side for skimming and filtering....a smaller fish might be the best option. Most people overfilter and overskim to make up for higher fishloads...

Yeah.... My ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, nitrate is 0, sg is 1.022, temperature is around 79-80, ph is 8.3, and my alkalinity is normal. What should I change or add filtration wise?

Well if you have stable parameters then i would leave it be. Just keep in mind ANY fish you get will add to the bioload of the tank. You are doing good if youre running 0 nitrates and have no algae issues. :)

I had some algae issues on my sand before but my diamond watchman goby cleared that up immediately. Those guys are amazing for algae removal

Back
Top Bottom