what can go with a betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mariah

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 5 tanks currently but need to do some arranging. My betta is currently in a 2 gallon tank. His tank is a 10g but my fish had babies so he was moved. I am maybe thinking of putting him in a 29g?? What fish can he go with? I want to get rid or my 2g and 10g and have just 2 29gs and a 55g. I am wanting guppies.. that's a no with bettas isn't it? Tried shrimp and he ate them in the 10g

Guppies are generally a no go for bettas. Some fish that will work in a 29g are Bristlenose plecos, neon / cardinal tetras, platies, harlequin rasboras, cory cats, oto cats, and mollies. There are more but that is a list of some of the more popular fish out there.

Guppies are generally a no go for bettas. Some fish that will work in a 29g are Bristlenose plecos, neon / cardinal tetras, platies, harlequin rasboras, cory cats, oto cats, and mollies. There are more but that is a list of some of the more popular fish out there.

None or those can go with a betta though??

I currently have a opaline gourami in the 29g with 4 zebra danios. They are all three years old now. I am wanting to start over. I did have lampeyes and harlequin rasboras also some neons. There is nothing that can go in a 29g with a betta?

What I listed will work with a betta in a 29g. I would stay away from gouramis and danios though. Generally as long as it doesn't have a reputation as a fin nipper and doesn't have big flashy fins itself should be safe with a betta.

What I listed will work with a betta in a 29g. I would stay away from gouramis and danios though. Generally as long as it doesn't have a reputation as a fin nipper and doesn't have big flashy fins itself should be safe with a betta.

Okay so if i get.. two mollies probably both male.. and put my betta in there.. maybe get some rasboras what else do you think would work? I don't like cory cats and can't keep a pleco alive. Yes don't worry the gourami and zebras are being rehomed. Zebra danios are fin nippers?

On a separate note... if i didn't put the betta in and put guppies into my 29g what can be added to that? No other live bearer or anything. Can maybe lotches go in? Also can they go in with the betta?

What may help here is if you would make us a list of what you have in each tank. You may need to do a bit of shuffling but I'm sure we can make it work for you.

What may help here is if you would make us a list of what you have in each tank. You may need to do a bit of shuffling but I'm sure we can make it work for you.

Okay my goldfish and cichlid tank don't matter right now i guess..
Right now the betta is in a 2g. In a 29g i currently have a gourami, zebra danios, and trap door snails. In the 29g.. will this list work?

1 betta
3 mollies
6neons
6 rasboras
The current two trap door snails
And what else?

I would add a school of cories or smaller loaches for the bottom and call it done. Mollies can get fairly large and have a heavy bioload so they rank up a lot of tour tank space.

I would add a school of cories or smaller loaches for the bottom and call it done. Mollies can get fairly large nd have a heavy bioload so they rank up a lot of tour tank space.

Okay sounds good. I don't really like cory cats. They get too lazy. What kind of loaches? I will look up what kinds are local in a minute

I would add a school of cories or smaller loaches for the bottom and call it done. Mollies can get fairly large and have a heavy bioload so they rank up a lot of tour tank space.

I was thinking like a yojo or something.... like a lonnngg skinny one that looks like a shake. And i need like 4-5? Will that be fine with gravel?

I have otos, corries and african dwarf frogs with my male betta. No problems whay so ever.

Would an African dwarf frog be okay in a 29? I had one in a 10g and he didn't last long. Didn't know how to get air

There are several types of loaches that stay small enough for a 29. Certainly avoid clown loaches, they get huge. I can link some profile for you tomorrow if you help me remember. I don't have my computer with me right this moment.

I think khuli loaches are what you're referring too. You could do 6-8 of them, the more the merrier with khulis, and they are a great size for a 29.

African dwarf frogs are a no no in a 29. They swim to the top for air. They aren't the strongest swimmers, so they have to be kept in fairly shallow tanks. They usually do really well in a 10 tho, so I'm surprised yours didn't make it.

There are several types of loaches that stay small enough for a 29. Certainly avoid clown loaches, they get huge. I can link some profile for you tomorrow if you help me remember. I don't have my computer with me right this moment.

I think khuli loaches are what you're referring too. You could do 6-8 of them, the more the merrier with khulis, and they are a great size for a 29.

African dwarf frogs are a no no in a 29. They swim to the top for air. They aren't the strongest swimmers, so they have to be kept in fairly shallow tanks. They usually do really well in a 10 tho, so I'm surprised yours didn't make it.
Yes i believe the khuli loach. I also seen some that were just white. The same looking one. I buy from petsmart usually. How long do they get? I would get probably about 6. What do they eat also?

Actually each betta has it's own individual temperament which will determine what he will do well with. I have 4 male bettas in my 220g tank with everything to 12 large adult angels and tons of small fish from neons to purple rasbora's. I also have a male in a tank with 11 neons and 6 male Cobra Endlers which are like small guppies. This betta actually swims with the Endlers. Then I have 1 betta male that has it's own 6g tank because he doesn't play nice with anyone, not even cory's. So you just need to try the betta where you want him and monitor the tank. If needed you can move him. The only thing I won't put in a tank with a Betta is a gourami. Since they are similar and in the same family they will usually fight.

Actually each betta has it's own individual temperament which will determine what he will do well with. I have 4 male bettas in my 220g tank with everything to 12 large adult angels and tons of small fish from neons to purple rasbora's. I also have a male in a tank with 11 neons and 6 male Cobra Endlers which are like small guppies. This betta actually swims with the Endlers. Then I have 1 betta male that has it's own 6g tank because he doesn't play nice with anyone, not even cory's. So you just need to try the betta where you want him and monitor the tank. If needed you can move him. The only thing I won't put in a tank with a Betta is a gourami. Since they are similar and in the same family they will usually fight.

Yes the gourami is being rehomed. I would really like to keep him but he is a grump. Doesn't like any other fish except the few that are left. I could remove the betta if need be. I did have my betta with a few neons in a 10g but rehomed them and i don't remember why... i don't think he picked on them. I did have shirmp also but he ate those. Since then he has been by himself

I don't want the mollies to over populate the tank... would getting three females be bad? Or should i get three males? They won't fight will they?

I was going to make a new thread and ask a very similar question. We have a 50g tank and have recently finished the cycle. Right now, there are 7 neon tetras, 2 dwarf gouramis (1 neon blue, 1 flame both male) and an angel. All fish are relatively small, less than 2 inches. We let everyone get accustomed to the tank and decided to add a half moon male betta. After about an hour or two I noticed the betta was acting aggressive towards the flame dwarf. It wasn't all the time but it only took twice for his gills and tail at full extension for me to yank him out of the tank and place him in a small betta bowl. The gouramis were not picking on him and they do fine with the angel. I have plenty of hiding places suitable for everyone. The other thing i thought was strange was that the betta didnt seem to mind the neon blue gourami, just the flame. I figured in a 50g it wouldnt cause any problems. I'm thinking of waiting another day or two and trying to add him again... but i'm also thinking of returning the betta to the LFS. I really dont want to do that but I dont think i can keep a betta bowl around either. My cat has shown great interest in the betta since we've placed him in the bowl.

In the past though I have had a betta in a 10g with a bunch of guppies and various tetra. I was about 14 or so and didnt know about guppy reproduction. Needless to say, when the female guppies were spawning, the betta was not far behind enjoying a snack. They survived together fine except for the fry. Good luck! I hope you have him some good tankmates.

Actually each betta has it's own individual temperament which will determine what he will do well with. [edited for space] The only thing I won't put in a tank with a Betta is a gourami. Since they are similar and in the same family they will usually fight.

and then I read this lol.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom