What damsel is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevelikesfish

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been told its a Jewel damsel due to its emerald spots next to the gills, but all images I have seen of jewel damsels look nothing like my fish.

Anyone else any ideas?

Thx

I didnt see much in that link that would give me a good indicator. Ill try to remember to reference my Marine Fishes book when I get home.

Well i looked thru my Marine Fishes book and my Burges Fish Atlas and I have to say I havent found anything that matches the coloration exactly.

Depending on how far the yellow under the body extens up toward the head it could be a Pomacentrus caerules.

Other potental candidates include the Pomacentrus coelestis, Neopomacentrus nemurus (although the photos in my books show this as being green and yours blue the yellow coloration matches somewhat)

Yeah, its not a yellow-tailed damsel, due to the fact that its not just got a yellow tail..

Thanks for looking guys, looks like I've got a difficult specimen to match!

Thats very close Steve-S, but its not showing the very distinctive emerald gem spot above the fin, unless mine are very juvenile, and the pix form fishbase are of mature adults. I'll try and get a better pic for you all...

I got the same damsel!! Your in luck, if you look in my gallery, there will be a damsel that is yellow and after it matures it gets blue

The pic is on the 1st page, and has a yellow damsel with black stripes, the stripes fade away, and when the damsel matures it gets a dark blueish color.

I finally found the exact species. Its a Yellowtail Demoiselle (Neopomacentrus Azysron).

Thanks for all your suggestions, as some of you guys were very close. I went to my LFS this w/e and they had a marine book with a carbon copy photo of it, which helped greatly! :) haha

Thanks guys for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom