What did I do wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessiNoel21

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just got 25 RCS in the mail today all arrived active and alive. I put them in a clean bucket added some Prime to their water like someone on here suggested. I drip acclimated them for an hour 2 drops every second than netted them very carefully and put them in the tank.

Well just look in the tank and all but 4 are dead so I tested and here ate the results

Temp
76.5 F
Ammonia
Nitrites
Nitrates
Ph
GH

The only difference between my tank water and the water they came in is the temp 72F and Ph 7.5(I took a sample before adding the Prime)

I am stumped and now upset ;-(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What about temp shock? If there's a difference between the house and tank (there sure is at my house!), you'd want to float them to get them to temp as well. Tanks here are between 75-78 but the house is kept between 65-70. I use food storage containers or bowls to float after drip acclimation, then dump them into a net and put them in the tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Sorry to hear this. That's never a good thing. I can't see anything wrong with your params. Any discoloration to the fatalities? How long has the tank been running? Is there anything else in with them?

Sent from my LG-H901 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What about temp shock? If there's a difference between the house and tank (there sure is at my house!), you'd want to float them to get them to temp as well. Tanks here are between 75-78 but the house is kept between 65-70. I use food storage containers or bowls to float after drip acclimation, then dump them into a net and put them in the tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That is why I did the drip and I had a thremother in the bucket with them to make sure the temps where the same before I added them to the tank. I always do that cause I know shipping in the winter can cause temps to drop in the box even with a heat pack and foam lining.

Sorry to hear this. That's never a good thing. I can't see anything wrong with your params. Any discoloration to the fatalities? How long has the tank been running? Is there anything else in with them?

Sent from my LG-H901 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tank is 3 years old had a betta in it up till last week. They are the only ones in the tank the filter floss was in my 10 gallon to keep the cycle and only thing different is the temp but I added the filter floss back in an hour before the shrimp arrived.

Things seem about right.

The temp could have done it but you said you got them the same temp after dripping, or you dripped water from the warmer tank to warm up the water but the shrimp water might have still been much cooler???

You had treated water there in both the drip water and the tank?

Do you have any idea about GH/KH levels?

edit addition: Your Betta /new shrimp tank could have higher than normal GH/KH if there was infrequent pwc.

Also very sorry you had such a devastating loss.

Last edited:
Things seem about right.

The temp could have done it but you said you got them the same temp after dripping, or you dripped water from the warmer tank to warm up the water but the shrimp water might have still been much cooler???

You had treated water there in both the drip water and the tank?

Do you have any idea about GH/KH levels?

edit addition: Your Betta /new shrimp tank could have higher than normal GH/KH if there was infrequent pwc.

Also very sorry you had such a devastating loss.

Gh is 8 thank you.....I don't know if my water has copper I am taking a sample to be tested tomorrow that is the only thing I can think of seeing I found the other 4 dead this morning

Back
Top Bottom