What did the sand do to my fish tank!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samadec

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Recently set up a small 15 gallon tank. Thought sand would look good, so I washed it well and poured it into my tank. 24 hours later, the sand has settled and the sand has become web-like. No fish in the tank, but there is a statue and it's covered in stringy looking webs and the sand on the ground has a small layer as well. Anyone know what's going on in my tank?
:banghead:

Samadec said:
Recently set up a small 15 gallon tank. Thought sand would look good, so I washed it well and poured it into my tank. 24 hours later, the sand has settled and the sand has become web-like. No fish in the tank, but there is a statue and it's covered in stringy looking webs and the sand on the ground has a small layer as well. Anyone know what's going on in my tank?
:banghead:

Pictures?

the sand is substrate, and yes, i rinsed it before putting it in the water.

Attachments

• tn.jpeg
    tn.jpeg
    3.3 KB · Views: 184
To be more specific, the sand is "Super Natural's Premium Aquarium Substrate." I've also attached a close up of the webbing that's formed in my tank.

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 143
As you can see, the webbing has covered the top of the sand and the figure in the tank.

What kind of dechlorinator do you use? Have you added any other chemical to your rank?

The substrate came with a packet of Bio Magnet packet which I put in the tank. I also added 5mL of water conditioner and a PH corrector tablet.

Have you tried stirring the substrate up? Is it sticky, or sand like? Also, was the bio magnet product for fresh or dalt water?

Back
Top Bottom