What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Removed a dead dalmatian molly :(
75% water change, vacuumed gravel,
Rearranged some deco,
Cursed the air stone line because it wouldn't stay where I wanted it to!
Refilled the tank...

smomus said:
Removed a dead dalmatian molly :(
75% water change, vacuumed gravel,
Rearranged some deco,
Cursed the air stone line because it wouldn't stay where I wanted it to!
Refilled the tank...

Sorry you lost a fish! :(

Bearchumjs said:
Sorry you lost a fish! :(

Thank you :(
I'm thinking he was constipated, or bloat, idk. He seemed fat and I'm just assuming that's what it was.
My daughter was more sad cuz we were going to move him and another into her tank after a few days qt. Maybe my dt is needing to be qt as well..

new fish!

Picked up some sunburst platys and red wag platys along with some mystery snails for my sons tank. I believe at least one is pregnant..
For my daughters tank 2 Mollies and a mystery snail. Was going to move the 2 I already have, but when we got home one was dead :(
After they all have been qt for a while will move a mystery snail or 2 to the main tank and the remaining Molly to my daughters tank.
On a side more I actually got good info at my local petsmart today. My son asked about a striped fish he really wanted (can't remember what it was) and the sales man actually told him no because his tank wasn't big enough!
Walmart had some green spotted puffer fish. SO cute! They would follow my finger up and down the tank wall. Totally wanted one or 2 but I don't have a brackish tank and I've vowed never to buy fish at Walmart.
Any way that was my day..

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 to not buying fish at walmart, I was hoping maybe my local store just had worse than usual animal husbandry, but seems to be a trend. So sad. I guess if you look at the way they treat their employees what do you expect for their fish.

Did a 10% water change on my 30g FW and added a powerhead as I've been getting a film on the water surface and did a 20% water change on my 10g SW qt tank and did a little ghost feeding to keep my worms, snails, and assorted tiny living things happy.

Swapped out my good filter for my back up one because the good one kept stopping :(
Moved some of the filter media, so water should be ok, but I will have to do a lot of water tests over the next bit to keep an eye on the parameters.

Took out all of my java fern that I had planted in my sand. I was told here that java fern needs to be tied to something and to let the roots free float. so that's what I did. As I was tying everyone on to a large root decoration, I noticed at least 12 daughter plants. I'm very new to keeping live plants, but I must be doing something right to have young ferns sprouting.

smomus said:
Picked up some sunburst platys and red wag platys along with some mystery snails for my sons tank. I believe at least one is pregnant..
For my daughters tank 2 Mollies and a mystery snail. Was going to move the 2 I already have, but when we got home one was dead :(
After they all have been qt for a while will move a mystery snail or 2 to the main tank and the remaining Molly to my daughters tank.
On a side more I actually got good info at my local petsmart today. My son asked about a striped fish he really wanted (can't remember what it was) and the sales man actually told him no because his tank wasn't big enough!
Walmart had some green spotted puffer fish. SO cute! They would follow my finger up and down the tank wall. Totally wanted one or 2 but I don't have a brackish tank and I've vowed never to buy fish at Walmart.
Any way that was my day..

I wouldn't ever buy puffers from my Walmart, they are always black bellied (sign of stress or illness in puffers), their bellies are sunken in (sign of internal parasites, which most green spotted puffers have when first imported) and they are kept with the African cichlids so they are always beaten up. When I see them there they are almost always all dead or dying and beaten up. I got mine from my LFS in wonderful condition, I bought four and only lost one in the first weeks, the other three are happy and healthy and a year and a half old. They got a nice 50% water change today and a cube of frozen bloodworms. I need a new light for their tank, though. That's what I've done so far, the other tanks will probably get a water change today too. I ended up with a surprise day off from work since they were too slow to even need me to come in.

Water change in the nursery. Net over some large fry to the big tank. Added root tabs for my swords. Fed the new corys.

View attachment 90271

His name is big Mac , and he's 4x larger than all the other Cory's lol

Alyxx said:
I wouldn't ever buy puffers from my Walmart, they are always black bellied (sign of stress or illness in puffers), their bellies are sunken in (sign of internal parasites, which most green spotted puffers have when first imported) and they are kept with the African cichlids so they are always beaten up. When I see them there they are almost always all dead or dying and beaten up. I got mine from my LFS in wonderful condition, I bought four and only lost one in the first weeks, the other three are happy and healthy and a year and a half old. They got a nice 50% water change today and a cube of frozen bloodworms. I need a new light for their tank, though. That's what I've done so far, the other tanks will probably get a water change today too. I ended up with a surprise day off from work since they were too slow to even need me to come in.

They actually had their own little cubical tank. Tiny pleco and half dead plant was all that was with them. Most of them looked pretty healthy other then their fins were sketchy. Kind of raggedy. Not sure if it was fin rot or they were nipping each others fins. I'm jealous you have some of these cute guys.
I'm about to do a pwc on my betta tank and put a black divider up instead of the white one.

50% water change on my 36gal and my 20 gal!!

Attachments

• image-744575487.jpg
    image-744575487.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 118
Well, I decided to make a brine shrimp hatchery after I found an old air pump. Put it together and then realized the pump wasn't putting out air. Took it apart, fixed it, and got it all working, then in an attempt to put a hole in the cap of the 2 liter bottle I was using I cut a deep gash in my pinkie finger. Once I stopped the heavy bleeding, went right back at it with a different tool and got it together! However I think my 20 gallon is going to wait a day or two for a water change. Don't feel like getting my cut possibly infected with something...

Did a 30% water change on my 29 and 10 gallons and a 50% change on the 5 gallon. Also cleaned out some plants. Anacharis makes such a mess!

Bought some black sand for my tank at last! Couldn't afford to buy loads because I couldn't find anything black outside my LFS :( so I bought one bag. It won't be enough. But, I thought I might put a layer of gravel on the bottom below the visible part and then put sand on top... I wonder if that will work. I confess that looking at my tank, I am not sure it will do the job.

ErinMcG said:
Bought some black sand for my tank at last! Couldn't afford to buy loads because I couldn't find anything black outside my LFS :( so I bought one bag. It won't be enough. But, I thought I might put a layer of gravel on the bottom below the visible part and then put sand on top... I wonder if that will work. I confess that looking at my tank, I am not sure it will do the job.

Have you looked for blasting sand..they sell 50lbs for like $5 at tractor supply co

Back
Top Bottom