What do I need to keep fry alive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orligirl16

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a female guppy that I'm 99.999% sure pregnant. I would like to try to save as many fry as possible. I've done some research and I've been getting contradicting information such as using a breeder net/tank vs not, transferring mama fish to a separate tank vs not, specialized food, etc. Where my question comes in is what should I purchase? I'm not looking to sell the guppy babies, I would just like to keep them alive for my tank.

Do I need a breeder net or tank,
1-2 gal aquarium to put mom in for birth and then remove and put back in community 10 gal after so she doesn't eat the fry
specialized food
nothing at all.

Tank- I have a 10 gal established tank that contains 2 female guppies, 1 male guppy, 2 gold dust molly (unknown gender), one panda molly (unknown gender), 1 silvery blue mickey mouse platy (unknown gender), one sunburst platy (pretty sure it's a female). Substrate is gravel, plastic plants with many hiding places. Tank has a bubble stone, heater, filter, and thermometer. Tank temp stays around 78 degrees F.

I hope I have given enough information. Thanks very much for any info/advice.

Breeding tank would be best
Definitely feed them tiny live culture food such as microworms
Not sure about separation

orl...

Drop individual stems of a floating plant into the tank. Hornwort is a good one and available at most pet stores that sell fish. It serves as hiding places for the fry and is a good food supplement for all the fish. Avoid moving the fish. Rough handling will injure the female and the fry. It's unnecessary. Start feeding all the fish more food and more often. Well fed adult fish aren't likely to bother the fry. The extra food will give the new ones a good head start in their growth. Leave the fish alone and up your water change routine to half the water every week. The fish will take care of themselves if you just feed them and keep their water clean.

B

Just be careful not to scoop the fry out when doing a water change
So far i just syphon good water out of my other tank as i dont want to scoop them out or risk a sudden change in temperature.
Once mine are about 6-7 weeks old and the tank it back to full water, then ill start using cups but not a syphon

Back
Top Bottom