What do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ben the Betta

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am thinking about starting a saltwater nano reef in a few years (20 gallon) What do I need?

I want to have 2 Ocellaris clown fish, a cherry shrimp or snails and hermit crabs.

Will these fit? Can I add an anenome to the tank?
Will it kill the shrimp or hermit crabs?
Is it necessary to have a skimmer for a nano tank?
What is everything I need to get started?
How much salt do I need for the tank?
Do I use sand as a substrate?
How long does it take to cycle a salt water tank?

Thanks!

There's soooo much info on how to start a reef tank. Google it!

Did you read the sticky thread under "getting started"? After you read that, many of your questions will be answered, but then you will have less generic questions. Many of our answers will just lead to more questions unless you've done your homework, such as;

Will these fit? Can I add an anenome to the tank? - Yes, but probably no.
Will it kill the shrimp or hermit crabs? Probably no, but maybe yes.
Is it necessary to have a skimmer for a nano tank? No, unless you want an anemone, then probably yes.
What is everything I need to get started? Too generic a question. It all depends.
How much salt do I need for the tank? until SG=1.025
Do I use sand as a substrate? Yes, if you want.
How long does it take to cycle a salt water tank? Up to 6 weeks if done "traditionally" (the best way).

Not sure any of this will help but as much as this group is awesome, still doing homework on google or at local tropical fish store is also key. I have a 29g biocube, about 25lbs live rock, mushroom coral (amongst others) instead of anemones which my maroon clown and other fish love, have 2 hermits, snail, crab, mix 3 parts salt water with 1-2 parts fresh to get the right salt levels, etc. For a 20g you're definitely fit less but can still create a beautiful tank - just have to be strategic with it. Start with the tank set up, water, sand of course.... then go from there when you can add more. Some of it just takes time to add or mature unless you have endless funds! Ha ha. I wish... Research what others have and what "look" you want (aka- what things work well together or are lower maintenance at first), then price out the components. It's definitely easier to have a plan than go into a store and start buying impulse buys that jump out but don't work easily together - which I always secretly want to do.. ;) Check around locally too if anyone has livestock or rock - could be cheaper and mature (plus you can pick their brain on maintenance.) Above all - patience with everything! Uggh I learned the hard way! But it's easy peasy now.

Back
Top Bottom