What do you do for a living?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm hoping and also taking this as to be you want to be a military officer not an LEO.

LEO is Law.Informant.Officer, correct? Because I've also considered that. But not normal police, U.S. Marshalls, or Alaska State Troopers (or somethin similar like a county Sheriff or deputy if in lower 48) But regardless of what I do, law enforcement, military, or neither (im 16 so I've still got 2 years to think about it) I'm going to college for an engineering degree.

Yes LEO is law enforcement. I would stick to engineering if your looking to make a comfortable living :)
Being a sheriff is not that it's hyped up to be, if you ever think about being a peace officer I would go highway patrol. They get paid more, they go through their own academy, you have a larger jurisdiction to run around in and they are now all switching to the chargers so you would get a cool car too.
Not that that's all what being an officer is all about you also get people that hate you until they need your help, low pay because people want to skimp anyway they can on their taxes, very little acceptance with the general public, you have to live with the decision of possibly taking another mans life as well as not taking the job home.

I wouldn't mind a comfortable living, but that's not what >I< want, I totally forgot highway patrol, honestly, that's what I'd go with since that's like the closest thing to being and Alaska State Trooper in the lower 48. But I definitely want to get into the military.

I can tell you as far as engineering goes, there are tons of jobs out there. I have had 2 job offers in the last month and I haven't even been looking or sending my résumé around. I'm in the structural end of the field. I was going to go for civil but the few classes I took were soooooo boring I couldn't imagine doing it every day for the rest of my working life. I also wasn't a fan of the CAD program for civil.

Yeah, the 3 engineering fields I've been thinkin of are structural (isn't structural engineering part of civil engineering?, civil, and environmental engineering. Mainly the latter, as there is a big job market for that in AK.

Lt. said:
Yeah, the 3 engineering fields I've been thinkin of are structural (isn't structural engineering part of civil engineering?, civil, and environmental engineering. Mainly the latter, as there is a big job market for that in AK.

There is some crossover but generally they are quite different. Civil is more based on transportation systems. They do get into some structural but more so for coordination purposes

High School biology teacher for 20 years; teach aquatic biology, general biology and a horticulture class. I was premed in college; have taught A&P, Chemistry II, AP biology, Earth Science, and Environmental science in the past.

No, I don't give grades, student earn them and I don't use bubble tests.

LEO is Law.Informant.Officer, correct? Because I've also considered that. But not normal police, U.S. Marshalls, or Alaska State Troopers (or somethin similar like a county Sheriff or deputy if in lower 48) But regardless of what I do, law enforcement, military, or neither (im 16 so I've still got 2 years to think about it) I'm going to college for an engineering degree.

I've been wanting to be an officer here in Hawaii. I've actually went on a ride along and joined the HPD Explorers. you learn quite a bit.

Well rather then start a new thread I searched and found this!
890 days since last post makes me wonder if any of you work????:ROFLMAO:
So my profile says 'copper craftsman' for job,but a picture is worth a thousand words.
So this is where I spent the last 2 weeks!:flowers:

99907-albums14434-picture69320.jpg

99907-albums14434-picture69321.jpg

99907-albums14434-picture69322.jpg

This an example of the metal I bend, and backing to my rant on being a skilled craftsman !!:nono:
It is nice to more about people IMO.:rolleyes:

Well rather then start a new thread I searched and found this!
890 days since last post makes me wonder if any of you work????:ROFLMAO:
So my profile says 'copper craftsman' for job,but a picture is worth a thousand words.
So this is where I spent the last 2 weeks!:flowers:

99907-albums14434-picture69320.jpg

99907-albums14434-picture69321.jpg

99907-albums14434-picture69322.jpg

This an example of the metal I bend, and backing to my rant on being a skilled craftsman !!:nono:
It is nice to more about people IMO.:rolleyes:

Very nice. Why did the homeowners go with copper when the other side has regular shingles?

Right now I'm going to college to become an environmental biologist, and have an interview at Bass Pro Shops in a few weeks. I could use that employee discount...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Copper looks awesome on a roof! Bet that cost a pretty penny;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wow that"s nice , Only flaw about copper is after a hail storm all the dents good thing it's not here in Colorado we get golf ball to soft ball hail at times , other than that It gives the house a more homey feeling , wonder if it helps keep snow off the roof in the winter ,

Stunning work there brotha.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Thanks man!

Very nice. Why did the homeowners go with copper when the other side has regular shingles?
Right now I'm going to college to become an environmental biologist, and have an interview at Bass Pro Shops in a few weeks. I could use that employee discount...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
One part at a time?
Winter ice damming issues last year for some in NY?
Check out my response for 54seaweed !

Copper looks awesome on a roof! Bet that cost a pretty penny;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
You need to ask B?
They don't even make pennies of copper anymore!
But it is down like gas(it rolls{fluctuates} like gas!)
30k for this one.
Still needs to have 50+' of 5"K copper gutter installed.(y)

Is the copper coated with anything or will it get the typical green patina as usual? Awesome work CB!

Jesse
No coating and my hand and foot prints are all over it!
The guy in pics isn't cleaning he is using a 'crappy couch cushion' to get traction,and keep from being burned(note the blinding white reflection over his head{all bad!})
Copper spends most of its useful life brown but it can go green faster due to acid rain!
There are also ways to chemically make it patina.

Wow that"s nice , Only flaw about copper is after a hail storm all the dents good thing it's not here in Colorado we get golf ball to soft ball hail at times , other than that It gives the house a more homey feeling , wonder if it helps keep snow off the roof in the winter ,

Much of the work in this area for the last 2 years has been insurance claims from a hail storm in 2013!
Shingle roofs trashed!
Seen metal/copper roofs that looked like golf balls after hail!
If there isn't a hole it still won't leak!
Painted steel evacuates snow better then copper ,but roof pitch and geographic exposure(N/S/E/W) has a lot to do with roof behavior also!

WOW so many questions and compliments thank you all very much.
It is so gratifying to be able to boast and see the results of my labors.
This is a part of being an addictive personality/person!
Poppa I know what you do(beside spin discs and breed fish) do others.
Well Brook blabbed it huh?
Mike stay in school and get a good education!
We need all the help we can get!
Brook I guess a 'builder' for you?

Same profession as Poppa here. Started as a lowly kitchen grunt washing dishes, many years later writing menus and coming up with specials in a country club. Chef life consumed me. Funny thing is I hate cooking, absolutely despise it. Always have. I enjoy the people I work with, and work for otherwise I'd have been out the door many years ago.

Now back to that roof! Will the spots from your hands not cause patina either? I have a copper ecig, and if I sit down and polish it right now, by tomorrow evening it'll be turning my palms green from the patina. As for chemically forced patina, squirt some ketchup or mustard on there! Lol

Jesse

Jesse I remember you saying you were a chef also like Poppa.
Too funny not liking cooking(roofing is living the dream!).
My hands cause the patina on new copper.
On old the patina can be a nasty thing!
I usually wear gloves!
Quickest chemical treatment is muriatic acid or miracle grow mixed in water!
Any acid will work eventually( I have used lemon juice also or just vinnegar).

I'm serious about not liking to cook too my man! I have cooked 7 course meals for 300, using ingredients you've never heard of, however, at home, Hamburger Helper and ramen noodles are a staple! Lucky for me, both my girls (2 & 5) love fresh vegetables that require no work to cook, otherwise they'd be forced to live off lazy box meals most days. Only time I really put forth effort to cook at home is if I'm craving steak or seafood because box items just don't pair well with those IMO.

As for rust, I've done a few forced patina jobs on cars over the years. Sand the paint away with a wire wheel down to the bare metal, combine lemon juice, hydrogen peroxide and salt. Dab it liberally on the bare metal and take it for a quick spin. Usually bright orange within minutes of driving. Rub it with a little diesel fuel on a rag if you prefer the darker rust. My father in law has done automotive painting and refinishing for over 20 years and thinks I am a complete lunatic any time I tell him I've done it again hah.

Jesse

Back
Top Bottom