What do you do for a living?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I watch two kids, one has some slight disabilities. Up until now I was working on my master's degree in Children's literature. Taking a break from that now due to my health and my parents rapidly declining health. I've had to help them for quite awhile now and it's taking a tole on me. Previous jobs include certified pharmacy technician, Co owner of an eco friendly cleaning company, etc. My favorite job was at a dog boutique. I also rescue animals and volunteer currently for a dog rescue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
I know I know I'm young ;)

Nice work bandit! Very impressive.

For the past year up until June I worked at Watts Bar Nuclear Plant. Watts Bar works with 2 other surrounding plants: Sequoyah, and Browns Ferry.

http://i.imgur.com/FXPhrFG.jpg

I worked through a local union and put on stainless steel insulation on all the pumps, generators, valves, etc. over 10000+ pieces weighing from 1-30 pounds each ;)

It won't be long before you see that other cooling tower up and running with Unit 2.

I've since gone back to school for a degree in Process Control. I hope to return to Watts Bar in the field of Instrumentation. 3 semesters to go! :)

Caleb

Nice Caleb.... i mean... Mr. Smarty pants, Lol. You guys got some cool jobs.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What's funny is when the hillbillies here think those big cooling towers are releasing toxic gases. It's just steam.

The magic happens in those little towers with the white domes. Which might I remind up close is still a very tall building..

Caleb

What's funny is when the hillbillies here think those big cooling towers are releasing toxic gases. It's just steam.

The magic happens in those little towers with the white domes. Which might I remind up close is still a very tall building..

Caleb

Can't say I blame them. What people don't know scares them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In my bes Marvin the Martian voice.... "you mean there's no kaboom"

Caleb

So true! I left the country club for awhile and took a job as chef inside the administration building inside Eastman Chemical Company's Kingsport plant. There are thousands of different products made there, from plastics and fibers, to crazy chemicals. People FREAK OUT around town if you mention any sort of "accident" inside the plant. Here's a pic showing a small fraction of the plant. It covers around 5 square miles if I had to guess, not counting all the random company owned property scattered around town.

Jesse

Attachments

• 1444786959633.jpg
    1444786959633.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 14
Now that's craziness.... bet it looks bad--- from a plane at night though.

So true! I left the country club for awhile and took a job as chef inside the administration building inside Eastman Chemical Company's Kingsport plant. There are thousands of different products made there, from plastics and fibers, to crazy chemicals. People FREAK OUT around town if you mention any sort of "accident" inside the plant. Here's a pic showing a small fraction of the plant. It covers around 5 square miles if I had to guess, not counting all the random company owned property scattered around town.

Jesse

Dang...

I know from experience and my father that those nuclear plants are under 24 hour surveillance. If a meltdown were to occur the area would be evacuated hours before anything catastrophic.

There's fail safes for the fail safes and so on.

Most of the "accidents" are injuries by employees.

I can't really go into more detail or government going to be at my door :whistle:

Caleb

It is literally its own city. Self sustained. Supplies its own power, water treatment/sewage plant, fire department etc. I would have to take a highly detailed map any time I ventured out inside the plant for caterings. Its huge to say the least.

Jesse

Dang...

I know from experience and my father that those nuclear plants are under 24 hour surveillance. If a meltdown were to occur the area would be evacuated hours before anything catastrophic.

I can't really go into more detail or government going to be at my door :whistle:

Caleb

Ive got a great "oh crap, the gubments at the door" story. Remind me to tell ya some time, Lol.

Dang...

Caleb

Same here. The plant has a siren that can be heard from any where in town for such emergencies. I've lived here 13 years and have never heard them use it outside of tests. The tests are cool though, they're done every Saturday at exactly 12:00 noon. My dogs would howl for 10-20 minutes every Saturday when the siren started. Good alarm clock...

https://youtu.be/jpF088pGgKU (not my video)

Jesse

Our town was prisons.... crazy bad prisons. Then i moved to Lawrence.... nothin like any of that here.

Jesse

I've driven by that about 4 times. Its massive. I was shocked what a huge facility it was.

I've driven by that about 4 times. Its massive. I was shocked what a huge facility it was.
Yep! If you get off i-26 going towards Kingsport Speedway, you'll drive right by the plant..

Our town was prisons.... crazy bad prisons. Then i moved to Lawrence.... nothin like any of that here.

I'm less than an hour from a supermax facility as well lol

Jesse

I've been into autobody and painting since I was in my early teens, I got to do my dream job for 3 years when I was 18, classic car restoration and customization. Full frame off restores, frame clipping for disk brakes or big block crossmembers, engine swaps, full quarter panel replacements all the way through final paint. Cars included 69 Roadrunner, a few 66 mustangs, 55 Chevy bel air and a 50 pickup, to a few old jaguars and Porsches. I actually miss that Job.
For 4 years as of this January I've been with a racing company. I build a few different lines of things in roll cage, chassis and sheet metal fabrication. I'm currently a cobuilder on brad keselowski's NASCAR camping world truck series. I'm the head builder for Titan racing gokarts as well and really enjoy the work. I'll upload some pics later.

I love to cook btw, I've considered a chef Job at some point.

Back
Top Bottom