What do you feed your fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I make my own foods and also use NLS to supplement. As treats or to condition for spawning I use frozen bloodworms and spirulina infused brine shrimp. I also cultivate my own live foods; vinegar eels, micro worms and grindal worms

Feeding live feeders is banned in the UK

to tell the truth why risk live

If you breed your own live feeders, like guppies, you stand less of a chance of introducing illness. As long as you take care of them of course. I raised my own for awhile for my JDs and my jags when I had them. My JD is now terrified of live foods except earthworms. Yeah, he's a wuss. He got put in his place by some spawning rosey red minnows.

Live bait i use is bloodworm, brine shrimp and daphnia.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think it's just wrong to feed feeders in a tank

In the wild fish have a sporting chance to escape that's not the case in a tank

ANY fish can be trained to take dead food

I have a rule in my tank EAT OR DIE as only a foolish fish will starve to death when you are offering food daily and they can see other fish feeding

My kids hate peas but I know for sure if the only food I offered daily was peas they would be eating them by day 2 day 3 at the latest

I have used the EAT OR DIE method on very high priced fish $600+ and have never lost a fish

All the good brand dry food company's spend a lot of money researching to get the mix just right for each different type of food

Fish also grow much faster on pellets compared to say prawn/shrimp

Blood worm black worm mysis are not really live bait they are insect lava

I think it's just wrong to feed feeders in a tank

In the wild fish have a sporting chance to escape that's not the case in a tank

ANY fish can be trained to take dead food

I have a rule in my tank EAT OR DIE as only a foolish fish will starve to death when you are offering food daily and they can see other fish feeding

My kids hate peas but I know for sure if the only food I offered daily was peas they would be eating them by day 2 day 3 at the latest

I have used the EAT OR DIE method on very high priced fish $600+ and have never lost a fish

All the good brand dry food company's spend a lot of money researching to get the mix just right for each different type of food

Fish also grow much faster on pellets compared to say prawn/shrimp

Blood worm black worm mysis are not really live bait they are insect lava

I only keep my elephant nose and he only eats bloodworm and brine shrimp and has for two years. But I don't agree with feeding fish live fish like guppies etc.

Meh *shrugs* to each their own. Fish in the wild eat other fish, shrimp, worms etc. I see nothing wrong with feeding them the same diet, though I no longer breed my own live fish for feeders, nor do I feed feeders any longer.

As for using guppies as feeders, what do you think breeders do with their culls? Those that don't make the grade for the stores for aquarium usage are sold as feeders.

Meh *shrugs* to each their own. Fish in the wild eat other fish, shrimp, worms etc. I see nothing wrong with feeding them the same diet, though I no longer breed my own live fish for feeders, nor do I feed feeders any longer.

As for using guppies as feeders, what do you think breeders do with their culls? Those that don't make the grade for the stores for aquarium usage are sold as feeders.

I wasn't meaning to be rude sorry didn't word it right i was trying to explain what I feed my guy and that i don't feed him live fish like guppies.

No doubt that frozen foods are great treats, but I want to try something for everyday feedings. Ive been seaching the net and probably going to try Spetrum brand fish food. Here is a link of what I want to try http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00176CSYW?vs=1. Has any used this brand?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cool. What does NLS stand for, so I can use the the acronym in the future?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

New life spectrum. I feed their small fish formula and Thera +a regular formula to all my fish. I also give all my catfish hikari sinking disks.

Bloodworms (frozen/freeze dried), brine shrimp (frozen), freeze dried shrimp (can't remember the type (?) ... Larger than the worms, and tetra color flakes.

I do rate the NLS I have just put it in my mix as the mega pellet is the only other good large pellet on the market

I find the NLS pellets are very hard compared to Hikari and the fish leave it in the water longer to go softer

One thing I found out is that my fish as a collective group do NOT like tubifex worms.

I feed my two bettas frozen brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms and occasionally some mini betta pellets, they love fresh bloodworms! Non of that FD crap!

Back
Top Bottom