What does this look like to you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr_girlfriend

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have my suspicion, but wanted some more opinions. Shes had the one near her pectoral fin for several months now, and I noticed today 2 more developing.

I've been battling an unknown organism for some time now in one of my tanks and most folks on this site will tell you before you treat identify. keep researching go to a bookstore if possible, most a books on fish afflictions, also read the freshwater articles oin the menu at the top of this site

vets are extremely expensive... I can just imagine how much they'd charge just to look at your fish.. and transporting the fish to a vet would probably be really stressful on the fish, which wouldn't be good if he already has something wrong

It looks like the scales from that site have been removed, a pretty clean looking injury or wound, but the several month time period without healing is the real question, IMO.

Initially I would've guessed a injury from hitting a object in the tank during a panicked dash or some such, but those usually heal fairly quickly.
My Oscar self inflicts this type of injury a couple times per month, but they heal within days.

Next thought is a injury caused by repeated rubbing against a object, hence the prolonged exsitence of the injury, rubbing or scratching because of a parasite or some such, or trying to hold itself in position against something because of excess current perhaps.

Or a wound caused by another fish or parasite, constant picking by other fish or parasite would prolong the healing.

Yet another thought is a burn from laying up against a heater.

Well, those are my possible explanations from what little info/pics I have to go with.
What are your suspicions?

thanks chile. At first I thought it was missing scales, but they usually heal right up. One of my suspicions was a form of Lymphocystis possibly. I've never personally had to deal with it, but it doesn't quite match either. When I try to look close up (which is no easy task), it looks like a missing scale, but it is smooth and clean with no inflammation or redness.
The fish in question is alone in a 29 gallon. Nothing has been sharp in her tank (I just yesterday put some rock decor in her tank). She could possibly get an abrasion from the fake plants, but I'm not confident that is it either. I treated her for hexamita after I first got her, about 5-6 months ago. My other suspicion is that she still may have a lingering infection, but again, that doesn't quite match either. Her appetite is top notch, behaviour is normal (except for her seeming light sensitive). The only other thing I can think of, is some kind of granulomata or tumor.

Are the areas lumps or indentations? Where are the new areas of concern occuring, it looks to me in one pic like the base of the caudal fin?
Normally missing scales and soft tissue injuries with no secondary infections on a healthy fish look very clean with no redness or swelling, they also normally do heal quickly. Though if alot of scarring resulted from a deep wound the scales and wound would look open but actually be healed over, I've seen this on Oscars and other cichlids.
Why did you treat for HEX, did the fish show signs of HITH?

HMMMMMM?.... Pondering...

when i run my finger over it, it seems just slightly indented maybe less than 1mm.
When I first treated for hex, she was not eating and had white casts out of her anal pore. she didn't exhibit any pitting or any other skin lesions at the time.
and yes youre correct, the new area is near the caudal fin. theres also the beginnings of one right below her gill :x (see pic)

I'm at a loss without being able to really see the wounds and watch behavior for an extended period, I've researched here and there to no avail on your suspicions and my own, its the persistence of the wound that gets me.
Take a look here and see if anything rings bells for you,
http://www.aquavet.i12.com/Fish.htm

i posted on cichlid-forum, but no responses....oh well. I think I'll just keep an eye on her. I ve put a low salt concentration in her tank just for precaution. I guess unless the wounds get worse or her behaviour starts changing, I'll just let it be. Thanks for all your help chile, I really appreciate it. (y)

So far just the same, the dot near the caudal fin is "slightly" bigger. But shes still eating normally.

Back
Top Bottom