What fish can i put with my tiger barbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kamek909

Aquarium Advice Activist
I took my bala shark back to the pet store because i have a 10 gal tank which was too small for him. Now i have 3 tiger shards and a little sucker fish in the tank and i was wondering wat kind of fish i can add. Any ghost shrimp? Or anything else? I know tiger shards need at least a 20 gal but i cant offord it right now so they need to stay in the 10 gal till i get a bigger one. They seem healthy they swim around and eat unlike the bala shark that would hide in the cave. Well anyways what should i do? Add some fish? Leave it? What kind of fish?

No fish really goes well with tiger barbs (it's barbs, not sharbs) except other tiger barbs. They are mean (removed) little fish. Generally they are recommended in a species-only tank. I would just up their school to 6 and call it good.
They will eventually need a bigger tank though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol yeah barbs my bad and alright thank you my friend

Last edited by a moderator:
My brother has a red tailed shark in with his, and let me tell you - it's obvious this Juvi shark is in charge, he takes no crap from the barbs. He certainly holds his own.

Well i had a bala shark and everyone practically called me a fish killer for having him in such a small tank lol so i took him back for the best of him

My brother has a red tailed shark in with his, and let me tell you - it's obvious this Juvi shark is in charge, he takes no crap from the barbs. He certainly holds his own.
Those are way too big for a 10 though, which is what the Op has

I was just replying to your comment of no fish being good with tiger barbs, i wasn't saying get a shark, sorry if that's how it came across.

What about some Corydora?

If i were you though i'd keep it just tiger barbs, my brother has a tank with mainly barbs and it's great fun to watch, they're always doing something!

The only issue i can see is that you only have a small number of barbs, but i would try a few cory, wait for someone else to confirm as to wether this is a good idea or not. Also depends on type of gravel/sand, what do you have at the moment, corydora *should* be kept on fine gravel or sand.

But yeah, just keep it a barb tank (it's easier) try some different varities though, they will all shoal together, i'm tempted to do a 20g barb tank since seeing my brother's they're fantastic fish.

Yeah if i wouldve known they needed a bigger tank i wouldve got the 20 gal in the first place :/ but yeah imma end up getting 3 more

No fish really goes well with tiger barbs (it's barbs, not sharbs) except other tiger barbs. They are mean little bastard fish. Generally they are recommended in a species-only tank. I would just up their school to 6 and call it good.
They will eventually need a bigger tank though.

+1. And you have a sucker fish already. I've watched them in shops and I reckon every 5 seconds one was off antagonizing. Short lived action each time but gee.

I have 5 or more as recommended with fast moving, short finned fish or catfish. I guess that would include cories however sand or fine, smooth gravel will suit them better. But as you have a sucker fish already I would just increase school size. They were certainly entertaining.

Op what kind of Pleco (sucker fish) do u have. If it's a common sorry but ur gonna have to take him back to.

Im not sure its one of those sucker fish that if its a male it grows these spike looking things on its head

Bristle nose and they get to big for ur ten also. The rubber lip plecos are perfect for ur tank. Or if ur like me and I want to spend way to much money on fish I see once a month look up some of the exotics. Gold nuggets king tigers zebras leopards and many other cool types.

Can i have him in my tank till i get my 90 gallon? Hes very tiny. Imma get my 90 gallon in 2 months maybe less

Don't get anything for your 10. You really need to rehome everything in your 10 gallon. none of the fish mentioned in this thread or in your tank right now are suitable for it.

Yes i know i know but i already have them and i cant return them and im not goinh to flush them down

Back
Top Bottom