what fish to breed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ive been researching like crazy and i still cant decide which fish i want to do. leaning towards the apistos but im going crazy, probably going to be a last minute decision once i get the tank up and running

or you could breed golden severums, this are Beautiful fish, the £10 each when there young (bout the size of a 50p)

there no super easy to breed but there ok, and adults can fetch a good price but its ever changing so you will have to have a look what there going for... I have 6 that I use for breeding but I like the fish so much I don't really want to sell them, I just keep buying bigger tanks... :) all the best

etfish

or you could breed golden severums, this are Beautiful fish, the £10 each when there young (bout the size of a 50p)

there no super easy to breed but there ok, and adults can fetch a good price but its ever changing so you will have to have a look what there going for... I have 6 that I use for breeding but I like the fish so much I don't really want to sell them, I just keep buying bigger tanks... :) all the best

etfish

too large for what im going for :/ but thanks!

I have a species tank atm, 55 gal that started with a mating pair of Neolamprologus Leleupi (orange)....they have been SO rewarding! Great parents, rich color, there has been no separation required, multiple fry live in harmony. I'm sure there are many equally rewarding fish but these guys are very cool.

Neolamprologus Leleupi would be a cool fish but no idea where i would find them
same as the krib cousins. and idk if id be able to tell the difference if i saw them haha

BHead707 said:
Neolamprologus Leleupi would be a cool fish but no idea where i would find them
same as the krib cousins. and idk if id be able to tell the difference if i saw them haha

Yeah, you're definitely looking at ordering or accepting what's in stock at your lfs. You can go to the store and see what they have to order from their suppliers. You can hitch a ride on their shipping and have a chance to see that they are well and alive before you take them home. Definitely go to a fish store though and don't bother with the big chain pet shops.

Yeah, you're definitely looking at ordering or accepting what's in stock at your lfs. You can go to the store and see what they have to order from their suppliers. You can hitch a ride on their shipping and have a chance to see that they are well and alive before you take them home. Definitely go to a fish store though and don't bother with the big chain pet shops.

ya i have a lfs that i go to and the guy recognizes me now when i go in cause i go in often(y) im going to go in soon and see what he can get for me

Leleupi in a 20 isn't likely to turn out well unless they're an established pair before they're put into the tank, and even then it's risky for the female. A 40 breeder would give you much better stocking options than a 20, as well as room to grow out at least some fry.

Agreed. I missed the tank size. 30 is pushing it. 40 would be more appropriate for neolamp Leleupi.

Ya the plan is a 30 gallon no room for a 40 here, but ya i know it limits my options :/ kinda lame but theres plenty of cool fish that will work in a 30

BHead707 said:
Ya the plan is a 30 gallon no room for a 40 here, but ya i know it limits my options :/ kinda lame but theres plenty of cool fish that will work in a 30

Imo 30 is just fine for quite a number of cichlids (including Leleupi). You're gonna have a lot of people suggest that you MUST have a certain size aquarium, and , of course your fish would be happy with 1000 gallons, but, my leleupi have been in my 55 with dozens of tankmates, and as a pair, and the actual space they use is FAR less than 55 gal.

My earlier comment was by "repeat what you hear" tankboss, this comment is by "share my experience and personal feeling" tankboss. lol

I don't know anything about that particular species, but I do know that general stocking and stocking a breeding setup are two different animals also. You can get away with much smaller quarters in a dedicated breeding setup for a few reasons.

jetajockey said:
I don't know anything about that particular species, but I do know that general stocking and stocking a breeding setup are two different animals also. You can get away with much smaller quarters in a dedicated breeding setup for a few reasons.

Good points

Back
Top Bottom