What goes in a 29 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

picture_117

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have an empty tank, it's going to be heavily planted. I have wanted to have angels, or kribs, or glass catfish I believe they are. Ive wanted glass catfish but can they go in my tank?

Kribs and most all cichlids are extremely aggresive
you cannot keep glass cats with them most likely

some people have kept small cichlids for a while in community tanks, I myself.
but I learned that once they build their nest, they become extremely territorial and attack everything.

so make a community tank or a cichlid tank, it is never a good idea to mix.

if you still want to keep them, they like sand, small rocks they can dig in and an empty decoration or log they can hide in as a house. sometimes they dig under objects too.

I disagree with that, if the tank is stocked properly there shouldn't be bad aggression issues even during breeding. Kribs are more aggressive than other dwarf cichlids IMO, but they will still be fine in a community.

I would go with the kribs, just because angels would limit other tankmates.

I have 3 glass cats with my angel pair.
Youre supposed to have more but i dont wanna push it

petsmart in dallas is having a sale till next week on many fishes, probably FW too.
neon tetras, tiger barbs and stuff are 1$ each
I got me a raphael catfish, I think it was half off.

anyway, if you get like ghost catfish or hatchet fish you should consider something that floats, like fake duck weed. even though it is fake it looks pretty in the tank and the fish will probably hide under it though that will might interfere with your plants depending on how the tank is separated.

Thanks everyone. Well I really want glass catfish. They school correct? So how many would be good? 6+?
If they can go with angles that'd be great, if not are panda cory's an option?

Okay thanks, I'll go with that.
Does the kind of angel matter in terms of size? I like the koi angels and I know there is other types. Does this make a difference?

You might have trouble with the glass cats at first. They are all wild caught and take a long time to adjust. Make sure you have good parameters. I had a problem with a couple not eating and starving, but the others have settled in and have voracious appatetites and swarm when i open the lid

And also imo panda corys would be a better option that way the angels get the water column to yourself.

And also if you do glass cats id introduce them first

Well I just set up the tank right now, It's going to be heavily planted. When soil settles I'll transfer over the plants from my other tank, wait for the cycle to finish. I have a bunch of poly fill socks and sponges ready to seed the tank. So! most likely in about two weeks. I'll see how the cycle goes.

Are you dead set on angels? I have found German blue rams to be very awesome fish, a pair would do nicely in a 29. They max out around 3" and most reports say they are hard to keep but mine have been doing awesome, Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom