What if power goes out? (back up filter to sump)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nf37

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just some preemptive thinking here....

What could I use as a backup filter media to my sump if the power were to go out? For instance, if I was away from home for a few days and the power went out and the sump shut off the whole time I would be gone (4-6 days).

Is there any good recommendations to a back up filter for use until I got home?

Filter media won't provide the oxygen you'll need if the power goes out. Out of town for 4-6 days will require an auto on generator IMO.

I agree with Austin. If your out of town and the tank goes without power for 4-6 days, your looking at anywhere from moderate losses to the entire population dying off from lack of heat, lack of oxygen, and lack of light. If your in an area where the weather can cause power outages and for long periods of time (like me), your going to need a back up plan. There are some great portable generators out there that you can use to power the basic necessities and they aren't very expensive. If you happen to have alot of extra cash or you have a very expensive collection of tank residents, I'd look into one of the home generators that get installed and automatically come on in the event of an outage.

I think it would be cheaper to give a neighbor/friend $20 or a case of beer and ask them to check it each day. And give them simple directions if the power does go out. That's my plan when I go out of town.

yes, in many cases, 24 hours is all you would need to wipe out all of your fish and inverts, except maybe some of the most resilient, like clownfish or some blennies that might hop on a powerhead way at the top of the tank. it will be lack of oxygen in the water that will kill them, unless it's extremely cold, of course. it's happened to me and many people i know.
this can happen even while you are home.
what would you do in a power outage that lasts a couple days?

i have a 5000 watt generator that i run my tank(s) on, and also my fridge, and anything else i need, like space heaters or window a/c units.

at the gym around the corner (they have a 150 in-wall) i have one of these-
Air-Pod Battery Back-up Air Pump | Battery Operated Air Pumps | Air Pumps & Supplies | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

unfortunately it requires you to be there to turn it on, unless you find it enjoyable to use air stones in your tank, like in fresh water apps. then you can use this as your primary air pump, and when the power goes out, the batteries kick in.

Great ideas, I could get any of my friends to check on my tank for a case of beer haha.

Regarding the backup generators, any brands (and places to get them from) that would really stand out for a decent price? Living in Clarksville, there are plenty of power outages but they usually only last an hour or two at the most. I would rather be safe than sorry though.

The auto-on, backup generators are about $5,000 installed. Need a gas or LP line and tank to feed them. They come on when you're not home to turn it on. Generac is one of the brands I've priced. Whole House Generators - How to Pick the Perfect Whole House Generator – How to Advice from the Product Experts at Electric Generators Direct

Otherwise, if you're home of course, I get good use from my 8000w portable generator. Had a whole house plug added to my fuse panel that connected to the outside of the house so I could avoid extension cords thru the house. Ran all my 15, 20, and 25 amp circuits. Something similar to this. Factory Reconditioned Generac 5681R GP8000E GP Series 8000 Watt Portable Generator

as far as portables go, honda generators, or generators with honda motors are the most quiet. a little more money, but i have a subaru motor on my gen, and it's crazy loud. i had wished i didn't save the hundred and got the one with the honda motor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom