What if you took a Marimo moss ball...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heyheyitsrae

Aquarium Advice Activist
Cut it in half or something, and made a carpet out of it? Could you do that? Would that work? I read on Wikipedia that if a chunk ever breaks off then the cells beneath the missing chunk turn into the moss part. Has anyone ever tried it? I will if no one has and a couple of good sources say it might work. Would it attach itself to the substrate?

There has being people that have done it. They will put it on a rock or driftwood. Look up driftwood and moss balls you will find some places sell them made.

People have done it but it'll take a very long time for it to carpet by itself. It probably wouldn't root itself to the substrate either so siphoning the bottom could be a bother if it keeps getting sucked up. Breaking it up and attaching it to wood or something might work better. If you want a carpet there are better options.

librarygirl said:
People have done it but it'll take a very long time for it to carpet by itself. It probably wouldn't root itself to the substrate either so siphoning the bottom could be a bother if it keeps getting sucked up. Breaking it up and attaching it to wood or something might work better. If you want a carpet there are better options.

What are the better options? I have had my java moss Matt for a month and a half now and it's growing up not out

Try posting this on the shrimp forum, those guys seem to use Marimo balls for carpeting. I've read a few threads on there about the technique.

Marimo is can become invasive under the right conditions actually. After all, it's not moss i'ts cladophora algae!

Generally high light/high nutrient situations with inadequate co2 it can become quite a nuisance (like any algae)...especially if you start growing actual moss. It will entangle itself with it and look messy. But some people like the whole "natural" look....until you've got algae all over everything.

OK, what about my situation. I am redoing my background. Due to restriction of openings I will end up with 4 1/4 inch seams that run top to bottom. My first attempt I used a black neoprene foam and stuffed it in. Looked Ok, but i though moss would look cooler.

I had the same idea, get moss balls from large pet chain, and use it to stuff teh cracks.

I do not want it to take over the background.

photo1.jpg

I tried deconstructing mine for a 'carpet' and it looks terrible I really wish I would have left it in ball form.

Back
Top Bottom